• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

bracing a Ford 9"

xj4life

NAXJA Forum User
I was thinking about making my own brace for my 9". I've got some left over 1.5" x .120" wall from my cage. I was thinking of running it from bearing end to bearing end and tying it back to the housing by using a few little pieces of tubing instead of plate. Any thoughts?

Also where on the axle would be the most benificial? Top side or back side?

i was thinking something like this. Tube from bearing end to bearing end, then a few (2 or 3) tubes running from brace back to housing. And then mabye some plate where the brace its the center section.

fordbrace.jpg

I guess if you have to choose only one between Top or Back it depends upon how you will be using it. Each mounted location should be similar in keeping the axle tubes from twisting but will resist impacts differently. If youre seeing any air time then definitely a top truss (or bottom if you dont care about ground clearance). A back brace will help as a tire slams into a rock face. If you want to go all the way to each bearing end, itll be easier to fit a backbrace to avoid sneaking over the springs. How much extra tube do you have and how hard are you gonna be wheelin? - why not both?

95% rocks/ tight trails
2.5% mud
2.5% sand

i've got probably enought tubing to do both but time is my enemy right now. i'm going to be moving soon and will be without my welder, tools,....for about a year so i'm just trying to get a few things done before that point. i'm thinking of just a back brace because its going to be easier to run it from side to side.

I'm in the same boat you are and am intending on doing a top brace with the left over tube I have once my cage is done. I have a D44 so I don't really have the option of doing a back brace like you do, but even if I did I would do a top brace. I wish I could give you some kind of scientific explanation as to why, but I can't. I just think a top brace would be more beneficial. Heck either way your better off then no brace.

just to clarify that picture is a top view, brace behind the housing

Back