• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Sad Story of a blown motor!!

jeepmedicNB

NAXJA Forum User
Hello there, I just thought I would share to all a little of my misfortune "stupidity". Well It all took place 3 months ago now, I decided I should re connect the sway bar on my 3.5lifted XJ. SO I tend to be cheap at times, o i baught a couple new stock links and got them cut and 3.5' added to the middle. Everything seemed great for about a week untill I took my Jeep on "THe Turkey Run" Which is just a day of crusing the trails in albert county N.B. Anyways i was crossing a water hole, reasonably deep prolly 2-3ft or so. When All the sudden the jeep lurched toa hault in the middle of the puddle from 2nd gear 4Lo.. I wasn't quite sure what the issue was because i had crossed that water hole when it was deeper in the spring. So I got out and popped the hood balancing on the bumper to stay outa the water... I pulled the air box apart only to see that it was full of water!!! and below the filter was a nice 2" hole that the extended sway bar links had smashed throught the fender into the air box...... Perfect!!!! I said.....
So I pulled the plugs and cranked it over untill all the water had flown outa the cylinder head... pulled it out with anothe rig and pull started it!!!!!
And it ran perfect for 2 weeks then threw a rod through the block!!! I am attributing it to the pressure from sucking in water and a prolly bending a rod.....
Have since baught a parts jeep and swapped motors..... life is good....
lol sorry about the long story.

Well actually I didn't!..... lol But I did fix it with some epoxy and some a piece of plastic from some politicians campaiging sign. It's all frozen up here right now but I am going to build a snorkle kit in tha spring... I also got the holes in the fenders weldded out of spite!

jeepmedicNB said:
Well actually I didn't!..... lol But I did fix it with some epoxy and some a piece of plastic from some politicians campaiging sign. It's all frozen up here right now but I am going to build a snorkle kit in tha spring... I also got the holes in the fenders weldded out of spite!

I hope you used a Liberal sign, at least it would be useful for somethign other then aerating a lawn.

just like being in a boat eh? I am waiting on some quick disconnects. I like the idea of swaybars especially when my wife is carting around our son.

Exactly.. and it's a little tricky on icy roads... I also don't like the idea of my girlfriend driving it.. she struggles with the 5speed as well. I mean it's almost like a cavalier though......

I highly recommend doing the cowl snorkle mod.I did it to mine and it only costs about 25-30 bucks and allows you to traverse water over the hood up near the wipers!!

Sorry about your luck, I know how you feel. See the Midwest chapter, "Bad day for my 4.0L" for my story. There appears to be a growing trend of motors blowing.

Back