• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Flex Plate Question

ARBOGASTER

NAXJA Forum User
I'm swapping a 1998 motor to replace my blown 1996. The 1998 motor I have did come with a flexplate but I am certain that it is different than the original one. I believe that the flexplate is for a Renix motor. Can I just put my 1996 flexplate on my new motor? How do I align it or does it matter. Does it just go in one way? I'm stuck until I get an answer on this. I have searched and cannot find a definitive answer. Thanks guys ! ! ! !

Yes, putting your 96 flexplate on the 98 motor is the safe thing to do if you are in doubt about the 98 flexplate. It will fit. It only fits one way.

98 is not a Renix unless someone put in in an older XJ first.

You are right it is not Renix but the previous owner was converting it over to Renix. It took me alot of searching but I was able to confirm what you just told me. . . .it only goes one way. thanks for the help.

ARBOGASTER said:
You are right it is not Renix but the previous owner was converting it over to Renix. It took me alot of searching but I was able to confirm what you just told me. . . .it only goes one way. thanks for the help.
Check the distributor too. He may have swapped in the Renix. The harness will tell you for sure.

yeah make sure you dont use a renix fly wheel like i did. it doesn work. lol
but the flex plate is the same, since both the 98 and renix use the same mounting points on the trans. (thats whats on my 96 right now) ive gone through more engines than a freaking race car. after time, you realize the things you can get away with reusing

Back