• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noises

abzrocka

NAXJA Forum User
I just purchased a 92 xj a couple of months back. There is a grinding/tapping noise coming from the front drivers side. It stops upon acceleration but when I get up to speed or am slowing down I hear it. I first thought it may be the transfer case. I drained and checked for metal shavings and there were none. I compared the drivers side with the passeger side and it looks as though the axel shaft seal is missing. Would this cause the noise that I'm hearing? Am I going in the right direction? I am a newbie to all this and want to do all my own work so I am familiar with my rig if something were to happen on the trail. Anyway any help is good help. Thanks.....................Abz

Check the universals on the axle shafts, had to do both on my TJ last year. PIA job though in cold weather w/o a garage, used my customers shop and his tools on wed nite. If one is bad do them both anyways.

Back