• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

BIG EXTRA PIECE AFTER ENGINE INSTALL>?>????

centralmax

NAXJA Forum User
Took out my 1992 xj 4.0 ho for engine work and now its back in the jeep. Somehow i forgot where this extra bracket attaches too on the front of the motor. It is L shaped with 5 holes. I think it hooks up to the power steering pump or alternator... ? any suggestions? also there are some bolts on the timing chain cover that look like they want something hooked to them. cant remember what went on those either..

If your gonna tell me im an idiot for not marking shit.. your right. but i dont care about your opinion on that.

thanks

I believe what you have there is the left hand moffrey bracket. It goes on the left side of the engine (obviously) just in front of the genset rotor mount. Unfortuntely, I think you'll have to remove the coremide reset switch to install that moffrey bracket correctly. Its unfortunate because if it was the right moffrey bracket, the only thing you would need to do is unplug the defration plug.
Let me know if you need any more help, Im pretty good with this stuff. ;)

centralmax said:
I SAID I DONT CARE IF YOU THINK IM AN IDIOT FOR NOT MARKING STUFF...
anyone else actually KNOW what the damn thing is?

Sorry for making lite of your situation. Theres only a finite number of brackets on the engine. Honestly, I would probably not mark brackets either. Just take good look at things. What are you missing. Something had to be hanging on that bracket, is there something else left to put on? BTW, I didnt call you an idiot.

I would definatly say thats goes to the alternator. It's goes over the front of the mounting bracket of the alt. that bolts to the block. If I can remember correctly the two bottom holes are for bolts that go throught the block mounted bracket. The two middle ones go on two studs on the right side of the timing cover. And the top long bolt that holds the alt. to the block mounted bracket goes throught the top hole. Hope I'm right. If not I'm terribly sorry.

Last edited:
I just changed an alt. on a 4.0 two days ago and I already really can't remember how everything went. Man I hate getting old. ;) Hope it works.

jesusjeep19 said:
I would definatly say thats goes to the alternator. It's goes over the front of the mounting bracket of the alt. that bolts to the block. If I can remember correctly the two bottom holes are for bolts that go throught the block mounted bracket. The two middle ones go on two studs on the right side of the timing cover. And the top long bolt that holds the alt. to the block mounted bracket goes throught the top hole. Hope I'm right. If not I'm terribly sorry.

Sounds right to me. JIM.

Back