• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford Dana 60 DRW questions...

MSLD

NAXJA Forum User
I have access to a free D60 rear axle from an old 78 or 79 Ford 1-ton public works truck. It's a dual rear wheel axle, but I know that Dynatrac makes a conversion to make it SRW. I just don't know much else about it. The truck is parked in a few feet of snow so measuring the axle is a no go right now. Anyone done this conversion? I looked all over the internet to try and find axle measurements and conversion kits for making the swap to a 94 xj...anyone have any input. I don't really need it, but a free 60 is a free 60.
Thanks in advance for any info on axle measurements and the proceedure involved.

Dana 60's that are already single rear wheel sell for about $100 at the junkyards. Not worth the trouble to try and convert.

keep in mind thats an 8 lug rear axle, you'll need to convert your front to match it.

Ditto.

Junk yard D60 rears are a dime a dozen. They are 8 lug and 30 spline.

All the cool 35 spline 5 and 6 lug D60's running around are custom axles.

Goatman said:
All the cool 35 spline 5 and 6 lug D60's running around are custom axles.

Oh come on. Let's not forget about the uber-cool 3rd-gen (1970-1974) Plymouth Barracuda Dana 60, with factory 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern and close to XJ width! :)

To the original poster - what are you doing with your XJ that requires an axle that is several hundred pounds heavier, several inches wider on either side, and several inches less desirable in ground clearance?

vetteboy said:
Oh come on. Let's not forget about the uber-cool 3rd-gen (1970-1974) Plymouth Barracuda Dana 60, with factory 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern and close to XJ width! :)

To the original poster - what are you doing with your XJ that requires an axle that is several hundred pounds heavier, several inches wider on either side, and several inches less desirable in ground clearance?

If one is willing to do a little work (or spend money) a 60 can be shaved to approx D44 clearance.

woody said:
If one is willing to do a little work (or spend money) a 60 can be shaved to approx D44 clearance.

Yes, I know. One can do anything with enough time, money, or ambition.

The point I was trying to make is that you don't put a D60 under your rig just because you have one, can get one for free, or heard of someone else doing it. Needing a D60 under your rig implies a level of build that will need much more than just a D60 when it's all said and done.

I'm running 42" tires on a D30...
Just kidding. Like I said, I don't need it, I was merely looking looking for some feedback as to the practicality of taking on a project of this magnitude...posibly for future reference. I think that I will leave the axle under the snow. Thanks for the response

Back