• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front drive shaft vibe/questions

Chadd

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

I have been going through our new "to us" 97 Country since we picked it up a few weeks ago. It has 126000 mile on it and I am trying to get all the nit picking problems taken care of with it. I don't think it has ever been off road and spent most of its life as a grocery getter, white wall street tires and the whole nine yards. It has the AW4 and Select trac case in it.

The lastest task on the plate is a drive line vibration that apears at speeds above 60mph. After searching and reading here I pulled the front drive shaft to see if the vibration went away, and it did. After inspecting the drive shaft it doesnt really seem to be in poor condition. I greased the splines because they seemed to be a bit dry, they may have a bit of play in them too but I am not sure what is considered normal. It has spicer brand ujoints that seem to be in ok shape but they are not greasable so I am not sure if I should pull the caps off and pack em or just put it back on the way it is.

I do think this is the original drive shaft, what is the normal life expectency out of one of these "as I mentioned it has 126000 miles"? I priced a new drive shaft from NAPA today and I think it was around $260 or so. Not sure if there are any better/cheaper places to pick one up or if they are rebuildable by a drive shaft shop.

Also if I am going to have to replace it is there something other than a stock type I should replace it with? I plan on lifting it around 3"-4" putting in ARB's front and rear, changing out gearing and running 32's or 33's on it.

Thanks,
Chadd
97 Country
Grocery Getter At The Moment

Back