• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94 Cherokee Weak or no heat??

xylonjay

NAXJA Forum User
I am hoping someone out there can help me. I have a 94 Jeep cherokee and the heater quit working one day, and came back 2 days later, and then worked for a week, and then finally quit. I got it working by banging on the passenger side of the ash tray and it came back on although very weakly. The heat would kinda come in spurts, or surges. It finally quit workin today, and here in Minnesota we are getting temps 10 degrees below 0 with the windchill and I need help quickly. So that brings me to the question, is it the resistor, or the blower? or possibly both.

PS - Also, I bought the jeep with 200,000 on it if that adds any help. Thanks!!!:repair:

Is it the motor that isn't working well?

Sorry, I'm just a little unclear... If the motor is coming in and out in fits and spurts, and is only running weakly when it does run, it kinda sounds like the motor is done.

I have little experience with this though, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

:)

Well does it still blow air and just not hot air?

It still blows heat but it isnt blowing consistently, i cant even get it to blow at all anymore, i can feel heat coming out of vents, but cant feel it unless you put your hand directly over the vent because the blower stopped. So thats why im wondering if its the resistor to the blower? The Blower when it worked didnt make any noise, just sporadically came on for brief random periods (sometimes with a little encouragement by banging under the dash)

Usually if the blower motor resister is bad you will only have HIGH and all aether position the blower motor will not work.
Check under the hood and see if the wire to the blower motor have been cut, splice and twisted back together. there was two diff blower motor connectors and the splice and tape is common.
if they have corrided.........it could be your problem.
Just some thing to check out before you buy a blower motor that only needed a wire repair.

Could be the switch in the dash also, but i can't see hitting the passenger side air box having any effect on that switch.

Flash

I've had 3 blower motors quit on me... They just get old.

Same symptoms, sometimes it would work, sometimes it was weak, sometimes it wouldn't work at all.. Banging directly on the motor itself from under the hood with a long breaker bar helped get it kick started a couple of times for me...

Well, I pulled the A/C heater control module from the dash and noticed that the the blower switch wiring harness was melted to the the switch at one point; because the plug was destroyed and someone(previous owner) had taped each of the individual connectors back onto the switch with electricians tape. This must be the culprit, will repost after further troubleshooting.

xylonjay said:
Well, I pulled the A/C heater control module from the dash and noticed that the the blower switch wiring harness was melted to the the switch at one point; because the plug was destroyed and someone(previous owner) had taped each of the individual connectors back onto the switch with electricians tape. This must be the culprit, will repost after further troubleshooting.

Glad ya found the problem. I keep having similar problem, but when i find an electrical problem is Green electrical tap hiding the problem:confused1

Flash.

Left electrical tape inplace until I can find a new wiring harness. I did find a sweet spot to tap that will kickstart the blower motor (on right side of dash underneath)there appears to be some sort of housing and if you give it a couple taps it will eventually get the blower motor running again. Appreciate the help guys!

Back