• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

27 or 29 spline?

cdhowell

NAXJA Forum User
Getting a free 8.25 27 spl. axle. I have a 29 spl. now. There are no quick lock option for the 29. Is it worth the swap or spend the extra coin on a detroit? I dont hammer my rig, and I run 33's, and 4:56's.

well I've only read that the 27-spline shafts are the same size shafts used in the D35 and the 29 spline are comparable to a d44 maybe a tad smaller (?). I'd vote to spend the extra coin on the detroit if you wanna do it right and not worry about it.

cdhowell said:
Getting a free 8.25 27 spl. axle. I have a 29 spl. now. There are no quick lock option for the 29. Is it worth the swap or spend the extra coin on a detroit? I dont hammer my rig, and I run 33's, and 4:56's.

quick lock? what do you mean? Stick with the 29 Spline. unless you intend to build up the 27 spl to a 29 spl. Detroit made a full locker, Detroit EZ locker (lunchbox locker) and power trax no-slips are available.

MoparManiac said:
well I've only read that the 27-spline shafts are the same size shafts used in the D35 and the 29 spline are comparable to a d44 maybe a tad smaller (?). I'd vote to spend the extra coin on the detroit if you wanna do it right and not worry about it.
The 29-spline shaft is much closer in size to the D35 shaft than it is to the D44. It's really not that much larger than the 27-spline shaft.

Frank Z said:
Huh? The 8.25" shafts are .1" smaller than the d44 shafts and have 1 less spline.

...and it's only .03" larger than the D35.

Shaft diameter
1.17 - 8.25 27-spline
1.18 - D35
1.21 - 8.25 29-spline
1.31 - D44

It's obvious the 8.25 29-spline is closer in size to the D35 than it is to the D44. Clear now?

Back