• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

best oil for locker

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

so about 2-3 weeks ago i installed my aussie locker in the dana 30, and its been great so far. its got a couple hundred miles on it, so its probably broken in, its pretty quiet, and only notice it while doing u-turns, with the windows down. but for break in, i went with regular (non-synthetic) 80w gear oil. is there any weight, or type of oil that people have had good luck with to quiet their locker even more

It just uses regular gear lube, the same that you'd run if you didn't have the locker.

I've got 80-90 weight synthetic in mine (aussie front, arb rear) and I haven't had an issue with it yet. Been about 600 miles so far.

I use 75W140 synthetic in my 8.8 wih Lock-Right. It made a noticable difference in noise and operation. For the Better of course :)

I just run regular gear oil in mine. Honestly with the way I beat my rig I'd rather change my fluids more often then spend the money on expensive fluids.

xjnation said:
75W140 synthetic is all I ever use.....arb's and detroits love it
x2.
I put heavier oil in with my detroit and it quieted down and has become overall more pleasant to deal with.

When I had a lockrite in the Dana 30, I ran regular gear oil with 1/2 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer. It helped keep the locker quiet and also keeps oil covering all the parts. The Lucas doesnt drain off as easily as regular oil. Never had a problem with the lockrite in the 5 years I ran it with the Lucas.

AARON

Back