• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with a grand cherokee tranny

dandecicco

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I know it isn't an XJ, but my wifes 1994 I6 automatic AWD grand cherokee with the 42RE is having some troubles and I am looking for some ideas. When driving, it at firsts shifts fine but after a mile or so, it will hard shift or jsut stay in 1st unless I let off the gas then it will shift or just stay in first. Plenty of fluid and no vac cracked lines and the cables are in good shape. Any suggestions?

The rig has 119K all origional. I ahe a feeling it is time for a new tranny.
Thanks, Dan

dandecicco said:
Ok I know it isn't an XJ, but my wifes 1994 I6 automatic AWD grand cherokee with the 42RE is having some troubles and I am looking for some ideas. When driving, it at firsts shifts fine but after a mile or so, it will hard shift or jsut stay in 1st unless I let off the gas then it will shift or just stay in first. Plenty of fluid and no vac cracked lines and the cables are in good shape. Any suggestions?

The rig has 119K all origional. I ahe a feeling it is time for a new tranny.
Thanks, Dan
My brother just dealt with this with his 95 ZJ I6. His tranny limped on like that for two years and it was almost dry on fluid the whole time. Drive it til it dies and have a spare on hand.

RenixPower said:
My brother just dealt with this with his 95 ZJ I6. His tranny limped on like that for two years and it was almost dry on fluid the whole time. Drive it til it dies and have a spare on hand.
thanks but it is my wife's and I need results now. Looking for a common problem that is a usual fix like most things. Not looknig for a new tranny.
DAn

dandecicco said:
thanks but it is my wife's and I need results now. Looking for a common problem that is a usual fix like most things. Not looknig for a new tranny.
DAn
Fair enough, I guess what I was trying to say is, those units don't last up as well as AW4s. I wasn't trying to suggest that's for sure the problem but even you said you're thinking it's time for a new tranny. That is the EXACT same problem my bro was having and it was the tranny, this was before it was low on fluid too. You tried NAGCA yet? I'm thinking you'll get a lot better, faster results over there.

RenixPower said:
Fair enough, I guess what I was trying to say is, those units don't last up as well as AW4s. I wasn't trying to suggest that's for sure the problem but even you said you're thinking it's time for a new tranny. That is the EXACT same problem my bro was having and it was the tranny, this was before it was low on fluid too. You tried NAGCA yet? I'm thinking you'll get a lot better, faster results over there.

Nope I haven't tried that.

I reread my post. Bit snippy, my bad. I had the wife asking questions, just got in from crawling around the freezing ground and had a 3 year old jumping on me. life is . . .fill in the blank

thanks.

dandecicco said:

I reread my post. Bit snippy, my bad. I had the wife asking questions, just got in from crawling around the freezing ground and had a 3 year old jumping on me. life is . . .fill in the blank

thanks.
It's all good, the freezing weather puts me in a bad mood too. Like I said, it's not an XJ so I couldn't suggest for example the TPS causing that because I'm not familiar with that tranny. The guys around NAGCA probably know of common, quirky causes on things like that for Grands, just like guys around here know stuff like that about XJs. Anyway good luck, let us know how it goes.
-Collin

dandecicco said:
thanks guys. I jsut posted over ont he grand board and I'll lokk at the other one too. I'll keep you all posted.
Thanks, Dan

eye spel gud.

Dang and I wasn't even drinking. Guess I needed to actually look at the screen when I was typing and check to see what I typed...

dandecicco said:
eye spel gud.

Dang and I wasn't even drinking. Guess I needed to actually look at the screen when I was typing and check to see what I typed...
Ist ujst a mlid csea fo dsilxeia

dandecicco said:

thanks.

Tell her to drive to the nearest Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealer for immediate results:exclamati

Back