• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power windows

southernxj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
my windows will not work...its all four of them. i understand it's probably a fuse or relay but i am having trouble finding where they are...now if you think it could be something else please tell me...ive had this problem for a couple weeks now and i HATE not havin windows

Try looking behind the Pass. side kick panel for the relays.

southernxj4x4 said:
my windows will not work...its all four of them. i understand it's probably a fuse or relay but i am having trouble finding where they are...now if you think it could be something else please tell me...ive had this problem for a couple weeks now and i HATE not havin windows

You probably have a bad fusable link. They look like wire (actually, they are wire...) but they are engineered to fail when a specific amperage is exceeded.

This can easily happen if there is a short in the system (my experience was from the stupid underhood helper light, the wire rubbed on something in the compartment and shorted over an extended time period leading to a failure of the link.)

The fusable links pose two problems. First they can have dirty connections to the battery terminal which reduces the current it passes. Second, if the fusable link itself failed, you can usually feel it by examining each link along it's length. When they fail, the metal actually melts and usually retracts back away from the point of failure leaving a void. This is easily felt if not easily seen. If the link is blown and not easily seen, you will feel it by flexing the wire.

Good Luck!

Iv'e taken a lot of harness's out and have never any fusible links. Does'nt mean there arn't any. The power comes into the fuse box thru a violet cable, just plugged in. Maybe it came out or is cut somewhere. check to see that it is plugged in, then try a direct line from the batt. Just need a piece coming in thru the open window. If that doe's it then run a permanent line 12 gauge w/ inline fuse.

What year is it?

The 1984 - 2000 models have a fuse box way up under the dash on the left driver side of the steering column.

Haynes, shows a 30 amp "power window circuit breaker in the main fuse box I described below. Not a fuse, but a circuit breaker, loaked in the fuse box.

"The 1984 - 2000 models have a fuse box way up under the dash on the left driver side of the steering column."

i think the fuse box your thinking about is in the eng compartment next to the batt. If you take the cover off it will tell you what each one is. but you can get power for windows locks seats etc. from anywhere you want. Giving more power to your windows will heip your locks and mirrors and allow you to do the pwr lock relay fix that alot of people are ad have done.

He has a 96. My Haynes manual shows the same location for 1984-96 models, under the dash, to the upper left of the steering column.

My 96 xj power windows recently went out the day before a big rain and I had to wrap my door until I could figure it out since the window was in the down position. A local jeep master provided me with a quick fix, but not necessarily a long term one. He said to open the drivers door panel carefully until you can reach the window regulator and then to try tapping it sharply with a screwdriver or something. Seems that when these units begin to go bad, this can get it functioning again. I followed his directions and it worked for me and it still works a month later. Not a permament fix but it got me out of one. After going through the hassle of carefully popping the circumference plugs of the door interior panel, I wondered if a mallet tap against the panel itself would have accomplished the same thing....if I had known exactly where the regulator was positioned. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reminds me of the repair bill for $300 for the hammer trick. Asked for an itemized bill. Came back as $50 for the field trip/service call, $250 for knowing where to hit it with the hammer.

My first auto mechanic job was back in 1973, worked for full blooded Cherokee indian (Human one, not a JEEP, LOL!). He was making $200 for a guarteened fix on brand new wiring harnesses for 1973 Oldmobiles that were shorting to ground and blowing the main fuse and frying the harnessess everytime some hit a road bump and latered used the electric door locks or windows.

His fix was beat down the sharp edge that was cutting through the harness (which was also a bit short, adding to the problem) with sledge hammer! Worked every time!!! LOL.

Your hammer trick is probably resseting well worn DC carbon brushes on the armature, if I had to hazzard a quess. Next time you might try replacing those brushes.

I am having window problems too, but mine seems to be a volatge, current problem, or a severe need for greasing the moving the parts.

Thinking about this thread this morning has me now wondering if might not be a poor ground problem?????? on mine (and maybe others!!!!!). I already know I have a volatge meter drop in the dash area when I turn on the ventilation blower motor to high, that is not a real under the hood voltage problem. In fact the windows only partly work, at a terribly slow rate when the blower and headlights are off!!!!!

Im having an issue with my windows aswell. They all work from the drivers switch, but no where else. Any ideas? and yes I tried flicking the window safety switch to "Unlock". It's a 93 btw.

thanks

J_Prime,
Common problem. Use the Search function to find the fix. It involves soldering a short jumper wire to bypass the electric window lock switch on the driver's door switch panel. The fix will mean you no longer have the lock function, which, if you are hauling children often, you may want. If so, the other options are cleaning the contacts on the window lock switch, either by disasembling the switch panel or by pushing that switch about a gazillion times. You can also replace the switch panel...you see them on eBay pretty often. I did the wire by-pass. Took about ywenty minutes and all windows have worked fine since.

I had a problem with mine turn out just needed some greese on the i guess youd call it a chain of sorts looks like a big pipe cleaner there is a rubber hose that comes out the bottom of the window regulater it holds this i pulled it of and replaced it with a new peice of fuel line full of white greese and has worked great sence.

Only In A Jeep XJ said:
I had a problem with mine turn out just needed some greese on the i guess youd call it a chain of sorts looks like a big pipe cleaner there is a rubber hose that comes out the bottom of the window regulater it holds this i pulled it of and replaced it with a new peice of fuel line full of white greese and has worked great sence.

Did you take any :repair: pictures?????

No I did not but once you get the door panel off it is easy to see what i'm talking about the hose goes from the window regulater down to the botom of the door looks almost like a drain hose. when you go back together it is kinda tricky but take your time. In mine the old greese was like concrete holding the window in place.

OK, sounds like I am going to finally tear into that three year old power window roundtoit project now that I have an idea of what to do when I get there. Thanks for the post, sounds like the solution to mine too.

No lets see, just need some warm, dry weather:sunshine:......hmm back to the roundtoit I guess.

Back