• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Strange smell in new Jeep.

DesertXJ68

NAXJA Forum User
Purchased a 99 Cherokee and it has a smell! Reminds me of an old tent. Not real strong but it is for sure there. Looked around the cargo area windows and it appears to have a white residue resembling mold or mildew. Commom issue? Can new weatherstrip for those windows be purchased? Have you guys ever changed out those seals? Probably need to pull the carpet and check there as well I'm assuming?...damn it:cry: !!

For your late model XJ's, I would recommended you inspect under the passenger side carpet to see if your funky smell is coming from there. Water is known to leak through the foam seal on the blower box, which pokes through the firewall on the passenger side. Your carpet my be molding, if you are indeed leaking water in that area.

Simple fix is to just seal the foam (through the engine bay side) with silicone sealer, and call it good.

x2 i pulled my carpet for a while and could easily see this leak mine is a 99 too heck it still leaks but i gutted my carpet completly so no biggie any more

Based on the replies I see, you guys dont feel that the mold looking crap in the rear quarter panel windows is the culprit? The wife spotted that on first glance and then mentioned the smell. Put 2 and 2 together and that what makes me think it came from there. Guess I should look at this other place you guys mentioned as well. Good info...

aparke4 said:
x2 i pulled my carpet for a while and could easily see this leak mine is a 99 too heck it still leaks but i gutted my carpet completly so no biggie any more
Damn the carpet I wouldnt want it leaking onto the floor..i.e. RUST!! If I went so far as to pull the carpet you can bet your ass the leak would be fixed at the same time.
Besides I like my carpet...feels squishy on the feet!;)

I'll trade you my smell for your smell. Mine is a combination of moldy carpet, the back hatch leaks through the window, through the insides into the carpet. And rancid dog, he leaks also, usually on his own leg. It all works outs for the best though, my daughter refuses to borrow my car. :)
My daughter has used many bottles of Fabriz with not apparent effect. The dog smell is just to much for it. The moldy carpet comes and goes. Sprinkling Borax around and letting it sit for a few days, then vacuuming it up worked well, for awhile.
Take my advice, leave the smell, you'll get to drive the XJ more.
But do check for rust.

8Mud said:
I'll trade you my smell for your smell. Mine is a combination of moldy carpet, the back hatch leaks through the window, through the insides into the carpet. And rancid dog, he leaks also, usually on his own leg. It all works outs for the best though, my daughter refuses to borrow my car. :)
My daughter has used many bottles of Fabriz with not apparent effect. The dog smell is just to much for it. The moldy carpet comes and goes. Sprinkling Borax around and letting it sit for a few days, then vacuuming it up worked well, for awhile.
Take my advice, leave the smell, you'll get to drive the XJ more.
But do check for rust.
Haaa!! I guess thats true about getting to drive it more. I dont have any kids of driving age so Im safe there. The wife has a nicer car than the Jeep so she obviously doesnt want/need to drive it. I do want the old tent smell gone though. Just dont want to tear the interior out to make it go away. Seemd like little things on the Jeep are the hardest sometimes. Slight Smell? Take the interior out!! geez...what a PITA!! I can live with it I suppose. Will check the front area for rust though...good idea.

as long as we're swapping smell stories....

A friend of mine had purchased a Willys Wagon to restore it.
He quickly noticed a skanky smell.
eck09.gif

He contacted the previous owner, who admitted that his cats had used it as a litter box.

I waited until he replaced the seats and carpet before I would go on a ride with him.....:D

RTicUL8 said:
as long as we're swapping smell stories....

A friend of mine had purchased a Willys Wagon to restore it.
He quickly noticed a skanky smell.
eck09.gif

He contacted the previous owner, who admitted that his cats had used it as a litter box.

I waited until he replaced the seats and carpet before I would go on a ride with him.....:D

You would think that the cat urine would be corrosive after so long. Did it rust out the floors or was already pretty trashed before the cats added their "part"? I have heard that urine will corrode floor pans. They were discussing mice getting into vehicles and doing pretty much what the cats did to your friends Willys. Cats would produce far more "volume" than a mouse.:puke:

Ivan said:
For your late model XJ's, I would recommended you inspect under the passenger side carpet to see if your funky smell is coming from there. Water is known to leak through the foam seal on the blower box, which pokes through the firewall on the passenger side. Your carpet my be molding, if you are indeed leaking water in that area.

Simple fix is to just seal the foam (through the engine bay side) with silicone sealer, and call it good.

Mine is leaking through the door seal on the passenger front door. Every time there is a heavy rain I see a small puddle on the rubber floor mat, and the carpet under it is soaked. I know it's coming from there b/c I had a friend blast that area with a garden hose and saw it coming in.

Is this also a common issue? I didn't know about the blower box...

aparke4 said:
meh carpet is overrated
Is not...at least not on a vehicle that you want to drive everyday. Good carpet may be overrated but no carpet is not an option I want omited on a daily driver. If you work on farm or some sort of "dirty" job then yeah...

Two places are common leak locations in the back.

1. Top corner where the raingutter ends. You have three panels joining there and they are sealed with a type of putty. It the putty cracks, you may get a leak there.

2. Rubber seal around the rear side window. Best fix is to get in between the seal and the glass with a popsicle stick or similar object and rag to clean out all the dirt. Then hold it open with the stick and squeeze silicone sealer in there. I used one of those things that Tupperware sells to peel oranges and the blue shop towels on a roll.

On mine, the drain hole for the rear quarter was plugged so I had a swimming pool in there. The carpet pad throughout the Jeep was soaked and molding. The carpet was backed by rubber so all I needed to do was replace the pad, get things dried out and fix the leak. I don't think you want to spend much time in a moldy environment. Some of that stuff is toxic.

My son the plumber taught me a good trick when using silicon. I was thinking of trying to use silicon to seal up my rear hatch glass, but was thinking it would turn into a mess.
He says, pull back the rubber, use a very small bead, then spray the area down with a spray cleaner lightly. The silicon won't stick to the spray cleaner and the excess when you release the rubber that squirts out, can be cleaned off with a popsicle stick or similiar piece of wood or plastic. Very little smear or residue to mess with. He showed me on a test patch, works well. Works a whole lot better than sticking your fingures in there or trying to wipe it off with a rag.

blower motor is known to leak. On mine the hose was completely disconnected.. so as soon as it rained, any water that was sitting on the firewall would get sucked into the blower motor and all over the passenger side floor. Took care of that problem as well as siliconing the front "no-draft" windows and it's all dry.
If you have any sort of leak ahead of the rear seats, I advise flipping the seat and pulling the carpet back where the jack is stored. If you have any significant water it will all poll in there and rust away if you don't soak it out. I sponged it out and left the carpet/padding peeled back so it could dry out a bit. Also sprayed the area with a bit of rust-mort type stuff for the moment until I get around to really pulling the carpet and letting it dry out.
I for one like the carpet, since the jeep is my DD.

I see no one answered you about white residue on window rubber. It is very common and not a problem. I think there was a TSB with advice on how to clean it. No big deal and not caused by water.

I had two leaks that made my jeep smell moldy and would sometimes fog up the inside of my back windows. Reminded me of my teenage years at the drive-in. :smootch:

Anyway, my leaks were at sheet metal seams by the back drivers side tail light and next to the gas tank neck. I had to pull the rear interior trim and have a helper run the garden hose around the back at various places to find them, then sealed them up with silcone.

JimC said:
I see no one answered you about white residue on window rubber. It is very common and not a problem. I think there was a TSB with advice on how to clean it. No big deal and not caused by water.

I had two leaks that made my jeep smell moldy and would sometimes fog up the inside of my back windows. Reminded me of my teenage years at the drive-in. :smootch:

Anyway, my leaks were at sheet metal seams by the back drivers side tail light and next to the gas tank neck. I had to pull the rear interior trim and have a helper run the garden hose around the back at various places to find them, then sealed them up with silcone.

So that isnt mold or mildew then. Thats good to hear. I didnt think it was but the wife thought so. I have to make it go away though...looks crappy. Thanks for th info. I dont have any leaks that I can tell yet. All the people that have responded have leaks in places that I dont have evidence of leaking, so I think Im safe for now abnd besides, I now know where to look...win win!:cheers:

Back