• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 swap

Smittty9785

NAXJA Forum User
swapped a 8.8 into my xj. when i bought the 8.8 it was fully taken apart. i had to put it back together. but the hard line that was on the axel is not there. i heard i had to custom make one anyway. not sure i go about doing that. what do i do?

im just modifying the origional hard line but you should be able to snag one from a local junkyard if they have them. if not, it wouldnt be that hard to make your own and not that much more expensive than modifying the origional plus you will have it the way you want it.

what do you mean modify the original. ill go pick up a stock hard line for a 8.8 then what to modify?

im going to try and split it and put in my own three way distribution block on the drivers side where the stock cherokee line hangs down.

ok what are my other options? getting a new hard line. keeping the stock brake block.. what can i do?

You can get new hard lines of various lengths at your local auto parts store. They are like $10 or something you will just need to take in your t-block and brake cylinders so they can match the fittings. You might have to buy a couple and cut/reflare to get the correct ends on both sides.

Do you have disk brakes? If so you really should use a soft line to the calipers but in a pinch hard line works.

yes, it is a 8.8 out a 94 explorer. it does have drum brakes. do you rec. i take in the t block and buy a hard line from the store and have them do it?

Not sure what you mean by "have them do it". Unless your auto parts store is way nicer then mine they probably won't bend and install your hardline for you.

All you need is to get a long one and short one that are about the correct lenght so they meet on the DS where the soft line drops from the frame. You can get a brake line bender for $10 and probably rent a flairing tool. You might have to make a couple clamps for the hard lines though. I used my old one off the D35 and another one I got from a pick-part and welded them to secure my hard line.

still not to sure. think i might have it down. but how about the fittings from the drums??? what do i do about that?

This is what a double flaring tool and a bender look like.
100_1806.jpg

You can rent them at most auto-parts stores.
Measure how long of a hard line you need and buy one closest to that length.
Make sure its longer than what you need.
The flaring tool should come with directions on how to use it.
Play around with some scrap hard line until you feel comfortable using it.
Then bend your hard line accordingly and flare the ends.
The only way you're going to learn how to do this is to try it.
Its alot easier to do than you think.
100_1804.jpg

100_1751.jpg

vegas_baja said:
This is what a double flaring tool and a bender look like.
100_1806.jpg

You can rent them at most auto-parts stores.
Measure how long of a hard line you need and buy one closest to that length.
Make sure its longer than what you need.
The flaring tool should come with directions on how to use it.
Play around with some scrap hard line until you feel comfortable using it.
Then bend your hard line accordingly and flare the ends.
The only way you're going to learn how to do this is to try it.
Its alot easier to do than you think.
100_1804.jpg

100_1751.jpg
ty thats what i needed. a little motivation from someone else. thats for the pics now i know what i have to look foreward to.

Back