• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

She won't keep runnin'

missouri

NAXJA Forum User
I have 89 XJ 4.oL Auto- recently sat for a week, was running fine when I shut her off and now I have to keep pumping the gas pedal to keep it running. She dies if I put her in gear. I have check for current at TBS- I checked the fuel rail pressure and it has plenty. The tB is opening and closing. She just won't idle.

Thanks for your help

missouri

Likely the IAC is stuck. You can try spraying some oil into the IAC opening on top of the TB (after removing the rubber elbow) with the motor running. You may have to disassemble it and scrape the junk off. A drop or two of lite oil allowed to run behind the piston/stopper seems to help. I keep a can of 5 wt synthetic oil and an old fashioned pump oil can just for stuff like this. The spray oil unjams things and the 5 wt synthetic keeps them unjammed for awhile.
The MAP may be acting up, or the vacuum line broken or unplugged.
Very occasionally a CPS will do this, the signal gets marginal and the motor missfires and acts up. The CPS usually messes up and the motor won't start, but occasionally messes up and causes misfires. I had a CPS that would mess up at almost exactly 140 F. Why? I sure don't know, just know it happened. If I cooled it off with a cup of water it would work just fine, when it was hotter it would work just fine.
The CPS is often temperature sensitive and will work at one temperature and poorly at another.
This is just a short list of possiblilities. It could be anything from moisture in the distributor to water in the fuel. Or a problem with the EGR.

Back