• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick wheel cylinder question?

UltimateG

NAXJA Forum User
Heya,

While doing some maintainence recently, I broke a brake bleeder off of a rear. The only way I can see to fix it is to replace the cylinder. Now I have a few quick questions before I begin the repair tomorrow.

1. I want better brakes, mine don't stop very quickly. Is there a difference in performance between standard napa replacemene parts vs. whatever else is available?

2. Can I just fix the troubled side, or do I need to do them in pairs? The other side seems to be working fine.

3. Now I gotta buy a wrench, are the fittings metric or imperial?

4. Is it good to use lots of antisieze on all of these parts?

Thanks,
G

A napa cylinder is fine, you can do one a a time.I'd do two because the other bleeder may be seized and snap , You may run into trouble getting the line off the old cylinder in one piece, in some cases it helps to heat it up to aid in removal,any cooked fluid will be bled out anyways, As i recall its a 10 or 11mm wrench, I have a flare nut wrench set, well woth the buy save you some swear words and rounding of nuts.Most parts store have prefabbed brake lines with fittings already flared on, just have to bend it and install it. Once its in and bled put a little rubber cap on the bleeder to keep dirt from plugging it, some people like to put grease on the bleeder for aid on removal/bleeding later

If you put a glob of grease on the bleeders and all your brake fittings a couple of times a year (while your greasing everything else). It will help keep the rust at bay and may make life a lot easier sometime in the future. I use a small paint brush (I leave in a pot of grease) and apply liberally (it doesn't have look pretty).
I use a pair of vise grip pliers, tight enough so they won't slip and not so tight they crush the brake line fitting, to loosen them. I wiggle it, until I feel a little give, then switch to the line (fitting) wrenches. I haven't messed up or rounded off a fitting since I switched to this methode 30 or so years ago. Just be carefull not to crush or defrom the fitting. Or if you are usuing line wrenches, not to round off the fitting. You have to do it with feeling, not with strength.

UltimateG said:
1. I want better brakes, mine don't stop very quickly. Is there a difference in performance between standard napa replacemene parts vs. whatever else is available?
If you want better brakes get better pads/shoes (premium or ceramic). They are the easiest part to upgrade and will give the best increase in braking ability. Filling the brake lines with new fluid will help some too.

Back