• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior rack progress

Gaius

NAXJA Forum User
Got a new Lincoln mig so I wnted a little project to refresh myself with welding. I made a little interior rack for the Cherokee

Basket frame done, ready to measure for legs and feet.

xjrack001bn8.jpg

Here the feet are done and I glued some rubber matting to soften the blow to the carpet, and also to 'grip' the carpet on the wheel wells.

xjrack2004uj6.jpg

xjrack2010kw5.jpg

Now I need to weld in some expanded metal for the floor of the basket, and weld on some rings to mount the turnbuckles to.

Similar idea to the one I've been sketching up, but i'll use smaller tube and shorter sides. I wanna push the 285 spare to one side and have room for a small gear box for stuff like jumper cables, straps, clevis, snatch block, bottle jack. Also need to incorperate a hi-lift attachment........
How do you plan on securing the spare, to the floor or the rack above?
Also thinking about incorperating rear set headrests attached to the cargo rack so the kids have neck protection now that they are both out of booster seats.

The spare is a 31, so I'll be able to push it to one side and slip my sub box for my 10 under there. I'll be just criss-crossing some tie-downs to keep the tire on the floor. I'll probably attach a hi-lift on it sometime, and misc stuff under it (axle shafts and a shovel/ax). More just a light-duty rack for camping gear so I could bring the full-size spare inside. I may move the spare to the rear bumper if I get extra funds for steel.

Be careful with that. I have seen many car wrecks, and you would not believe what can fly around the cabin during an impact. Those tie downs are not very strong at all, and with the weight of the rack, plus the spare underneath it, you could be in a world of hurt if you get into an accident. Just looking out for ya. Take it FWIW.

I've looked at that olympic rack and I can easily make one for about 50 dollars worth of metal. I really like the idea of being able to tie stuff down underneath and on top

Gaius said:
No, just hold it down with turnbuckles to the flloor tie-down rings. I want to keep it easy to remove.

I would use something beefier than the stock tie downs.

I've pulled the tie downs out of either a BroncoII or Blazer, can't remember which. They are bolted down with 5/16" bolts and fender washers.

BTW nice rack.

Did a little more on my interior rack. Added some separated metal on one side for small stuff.

Also, thanks to Olympic 4x4 for sending me some hold downs they use for their XJ interior rack. They use a bolt that you drill in the folor pan that are tapped for knobs that screw into them. That's a simple, great idea.

xjrack005kn5.jpg

Since I have no bars on the floor I uses the bolt portion to use as a mount for some eye bolts that I'll use turnbuckles to make the rack easily removeable: Two in the front and two to the rear.

xjrack003lf7.jpg

xjrack007pw7.jpg

just for the square framing for me not even putting the floor in the basket is costing me about $80....
man its hard welding im so rusty at it lol
you should see the welds
im using a lincoln mig welder
hehe

Back