• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crankcase breather hose

clunk

NAXJA Forum User
The other day I was cleaning out the elbow on the crankcase which takes air into the crankcase. I didn't want to pull it right off...because I knew it would crack(old brittle rubber). It cracked anyways.

My question is this:
The elbow didn't fit tightly in there from the get-go. it just kind of flopped around, and definately DID not have a tight seal. Figuring that since it never had a tight seal anyways and still ran great, I didn't worry about the new crack.
Is it wrong to have not worried about this?
This would probably affect my oil pressure, right?
The weird thing is that my oil pressure has always been up to spec regardless of the crack or loose fitting.
I have checked the pressure against my glovebox owners manual(original with the chrysler logo on it for cherokee/wagoneer) and it has always been on the upper side of factory specs indicating that everything is fine.

Am I worrying for nothing? The jeep runs great, has proper oil pressure blah blah blah and only has 100k it.

perfect, thanks.
should I seal both the crack and the area around the VC where it does not hold a seal as well? Will this affect my vacuum pressure or something? (ie, should I disconnect/reconnect the battery so it can re-learn how much air is pulling in?)
sorry for the newbish questions, I'm learning alot of stuff here and I really appreciate the advice!

I would seal both the crack and the hole where it pushes in. You should not have any computer issues. Now you are letting the crank case pressure go thru the tube instead of out into the air.

Back