• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Factory Storage Pouch?

Zoro

NAXJA Forum User
My XJ(90) has a little p'leather storage bad on the passenger side of the trans hump. I always thought this was just something the PO put in until I started seeing them in other Jeeps like this one on Ebay:
6c35_12.JPG

So was this a factory option or some kind of dealer thing? On 5 or so the XJ's I've seen this in the trans is a 5spd and the pouch was color matched to the interior.

CHUGLYxj said:
kinda looks like a trash bag. with all the loose crap I have laying around that would be nice to have.
That's what I use mine for...I always thought I was the only one with one of those, but yet again my truck has ALL the oddball options

could it be a place to keep all that extra cash XJ owners have? nah
could it be a place to keep all those speeding tickets? nah
could it be a place to keep maps for those wheeling advenutures? nah

wait i know i know, its a place to keep an extra dry pair of socks! (well for me anyways! ahaha) looks kife to me

Jeff

I've seen it before too but I also thought it was added by the owner.
Strange that they'd only put them in with the manual trannys.

I bought one in 1989 w/ my new Dodge Ram full size van. It's just a trash bag that they sold in auto parts stores. I still hve it, now it's in my 92 Xj.

Not exactly color matched, but still factory:
junkbox.jpg

paid $600 for the box, and it came with a free XJ!!!

ren said:
Not exactly color matched, but still factory:
junkbox.jpg

paid $600 for the box, and it came with a free XJ!!!
any idea on a discription or a part #?

Be right back, will go look for a part number real quick. By the way, it is the only one that I have ever seen. Damn shame, as I would get some more of them to put in the other XJ's.
Did not see a number on it, but the next time that I empty it out, I will check the bottom of it. The side that goes against the inner panel even has the cut-out in it to get to the matching one in the side of the Jeep. Oh, and it is even keyed to the door key, too.

Last edited:
ren said:
Be right back, will go look for a part number real quick. By the way, it is the only one that I have ever seen. Damn shame, as I would get some more of them to put in the other XJ's.

Same here. And not to hijack, but it is semi-related:

We found a similar box in the junkyard a few months ago in the back of an MJ. However, unlike this one (which looks like it's designed to make use of the cubby space in the passenger rear fender), it was more like a traditional pickup toolbox - T-shaped as you looked at it end-on. Jeep-branded and made of similar-looking plastic to the one above, the rear wall followed the angle of the back seats in an XJ, so you could set it snug up against them.

However, it was slightly narrower than the cargo area of the XJ and had no way of obviously permanently-mounting it. IIRC, it also had provisions for barrel locks (which had been removed) on it. We're thinking it may have been designed for a CJ or YJ given its width; from my likely-confusing description above, do you have any idea what this one may be, or where it may have come from originally? I may be able to grab a photo or part number in the next day or two depending on the schedule of the guy who actually has it.

That box is long discontinued. It was originally available directly through the dealer network or you could later buy them aftermarket from places like Quadratec and the like.
I contacted the company (2 years ago) that made that storage box for Jeep (I forgot the name) and they had sold the rights to the injection mold to another company. It was that second company that sold them in the aftermarket. After lackluster sales, the remaining inventory was scrapped and the molds destroyed.
The aftermarket box does not say "Jeep" on it but it is practically identical.

xjstoragebox.jpg

They were manufactured in two styles, one to fit the RR corner (pictured) or one for the LR corner of the XJ. I really wanted one for the left rear since my spare is mounted outside the Jeep and my right rear corner has a JL Audio sub enclosures mounted there (which is also discontinued).
xj_bass_box_jl_audio.jpg

BTW-Looks like both Jeeps pictured with the box have the toneau covers as well, or atleast had them at one time

Back