• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What a difference a starter makes...

djinn

NAXJA Member #820
My '96 XJ has always taken 3 or more seconds to fire up after turning the key. It has done this as long as I have had it - I bought it used in 2000. A couple of years ago, it got even more sluggish, taking 5 or more seconds to fire up. I replaced the battery, and things got better, but it still wasn't as fast as people on these forums said it should be. Well, yesterday it started sounding downright sick while starting up; the engine would turn over very slowly, and 10 or more seconds later it would finally fire up. The battery was only a couple of years old (Optima yellow top), so I figured it was probably the starter. I went over to NAPA and picked up a new starter (none of this rebuilt stuff - I went for a new unit). Figuring on Murphy's Law, I picked up a battery as well, just in case (the Interstate version of the Optima, but with more cranking amps and CCA). Replaced the battery first (it was the easiest to get to) - turned the key, and nothing. Not even a click. Checked the connections, everything looked good. Tapped on the starter solenoid and tried it again - it barely turned over, but did start. Crawled underneath in the rain and replaced the starter. Wow! What a difference! It starts up on the first turn of the engine. This thing has never started this quickly in all the time I had it - I never would have figured that the starter would have made that much difference.

mine went a few days ago on my 90. With a new (remanufactured w/ 3yr warranty) starter in there it takes under 2 seconds of cranking. Still not as good as most newer cars but I understand the renix system needs a few seconds to get things sorted out before it wants to catch and fire.

THAT is the reason I buy ALL of my aftermarket parts from NAPA.

This is good to know....I just got a 2000 and it seems to take one 5 second crank followed by a another to get it to catch. At 90k, maybe the starter could use an upgrade. How much is that new from NAPA?

Audnorge said:
This is good to know....I just got a 2000 and it seems to take one 5 second crank followed by a another to get it to catch. At 90k, maybe the starter could use an upgrade. How much is that new from NAPA?
I bought a reman. one w/3 year warranty from canadian tire for $99.99 including my old starter for core charge. Cheap insurance for being up in the middle of nowhere and having the starter crap out.

clunk said:
I bought a reman. one w/3 year warranty from canadian tire for $99.99 including my old starter for core charge. Cheap insurance for being up in the middle of nowhere and having the starter crap out.

i think im the only one on the forum to say this, but i have never had good luck with NAPA ever.

i got a new starter with solenoid from O'reillys for $75. my solenoid went out, and it was $40 for the solenoid and $70 (+$5 core) for both, so i got both. the jeep does start a lot faster now.

-Tim

I picked up a reman'd starter with a lifetime warrantee on it from NAPA for $129 (+49core). amazing the difference a good starter will make. the stock one stopped pushing out the gear to spin the engine. *sigh*

jeepnuts311 said:
i think im the only one on the forum to say this, but i have never had good luck with NAPA ever.

i got a new starter with solenoid from O'reillys for $75. my solenoid went out, and it was $40 for the solenoid and $70 (+$5 core) for both, so i got both. the jeep does start a lot faster now.

-Tim
Ive never dealt with NAPA. Don't have any major parts stores where I live. Cheapest place I could find a starter was Canadian tire(big department store type place with an auto section). Everywhere else in town I called wanted $180-$250 for a remanufactred starter.

my girlfriend just replaced her started with a pepboys reman, starts up like a champ. but napa has treated me well with almost everything (reman mastercylinder, brake lines, relays, starters with lifetime warranty, alternators with lifetime warranty, heaterhose)

djinn said:
Figuring on Murphy's Law, I picked up a battery as well, just in case (the Interstate version of the Optima, but with more cranking amps and CCA)

How's the price difference between the Optima and the Interstate version (I assume you went for the equivalent of the YT)?

Rob Mayercik said:
How's the price difference between the Optima and the Interstate version (I assume you went for the equivalent of the YT)?

The Interstate was $129, while the Optima was $169. The Interstate was the equivalent of the red top - I didn't see a yellow top equivalent. They did have a blue top equivalent, but I didn't want that.

Back