• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What shafts are in my '01 LP 30? Shaft swap Q?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
Does my 2001 XJ Sport Low Pinion Dana 30 have the good 297 shafts?

Will these shafts swap into my 1988 HP 30, direct bolt in?

Basically my offroader has the poopy shafts, I want to know if my 2001 DD has the strong shafts so I can swap them out. I don't need strong shafts in my DD.
thanks!

Yes, they will swap right over. It will strengthen them if you grind them to take full circle clips on the u-joints, and swap the 297's out for a new set of 760's. I'm trying to find a good writeup on it, but am not finding one.

The 760 replaced the 297, but they are in no way the same thing.

http://www.4x4wire.com/jeep/tech/axle/760/

:edit: Ok, apparently that site tells you -crap- about the difference. ;) They aren't manufactured the same. I forget the numbers and where I read them, but the 760 is supposed to be like 25% stronger.

cal said:
Yes, they will swap right over. It will strengthen them if you grind them to take full circle clips on the u-joints, and swap the 297's out for a new set of 760's. I'm trying to find a good writeup on it, but am not finding one.

Or not.....the 88 has vacuum disconect so you will need the block off plate and new seal.

Some have a vacume disconnect, some do not. He said nothing about having a vacume disconnect, so I wasn't going to make assumptions.

all 30s after 95 have the 297 joint. even if you have disco you can grab 95 yj shafts as they have disco and large joints.

Back