• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CRAP CRAP CRAP!!! again with the knocking!!!

citRon

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=104405&highlight=noise
-changed rear main, and oil pump.
Started it up last night, sounded fine, except for when it was shut off, there was a 'shudder' and for a split second, made the 'knock-rattle' sound, didn't hear it while it was running though. Today, had it running while I tightended up shock and sway bar bolts, and after it got warmed up, maybe 5 minutes....'knocky knock knock!!
%^^&#*(@! _(*&&^%$@!##@$!&&%$&^&@@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what in the -----is this????? When I had everything apart, everything seemed ok, crank look good, bearing for the rear main looked good, -didn't take off any other bearing caps- didn't think I needed to look at any more bearings...

Last edited:
I had a bad alternator once that sounded just like a bad rod knock. I was pleasantly surprised to have the noise disappear when I pulled the belt. The rear bearing was totally destroyed and the shaft was knocking around.

lawsoncl said:
I had a bad alternator once that sounded just like a bad rod knock. I was pleasantly surprised to have the noise disappear when I pulled the belt. The rear bearing was totally destroyed and the shaft was knocking around.

I tried taking off the belt early on- sound was still there. Also tried the 'pull a plug one at a time' trick- no change- still there.

I'll take a real close look at the flywheel tomorrow- it just sounds farther forward- I know the sound can travel though.

citRon said:
I tried taking off the belt early on- sound was still there. Also tried the 'pull a plug one at a time' trick- no change- still there.

I'll take a real close look at the flywheel tomorrow- it just sounds farther forward- I know the sound can travel though.

my flywheel cracked in the area right around the flywheel bolts. right around the outside edge of the bolt circle...sounded just like a rod knock. i couldn't find it by moving the flywheel...only found mine when i pulled the motor...

mac 'a lot of work for a crack' gyvr

It is called a duty cycle purge solenoid.I understand that several people have spent great sums of time and money to stop a knock.My replacement cost was $34.00.I now have a perfectly quiet 2000 XJ.

hmmmm.....where is that located? ...firewall, I assume, but where? Thanks, haven't had time to do anything with it today, hopefully saturday, and hopefully I'll have an idea of what to do.

Back