• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

weird quirks with drivetrain

MuddinJeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Howdy,
I've noticed over the past while that there are a number of...quirks...with my steering and ride. when driving slow, it feels like its on clown car wheels, like each rim is mounted off center. Its not a huge wobble, only slightly noticeable, and it more or less goes away over 25km/h. I've heard loud popping noises while turning the steering wheel a handful of times too. When I turn the wheel, it feels very effortless, almost like there's nothing connected to the steering wheel. Is this the part of the jeep thing that people don't understand? I'm guessing that the steering problems are the steering box...but the rest of it??
I'm driving a 1990 4.0L auto with an NP231, 4.5" procomp lift and 31x10.50 mudders...any help is appreciated, and I have searched:D

I doubt this would be happening if you were stock, so I don't see any reason it would need to be in OEM teh...and really who cares?

Low speed wobble: tire balance/alignment

Effortless steering: well...mine is about the same...but I would assume you mean more so than what you would normally feel...not too sure...perhaps it has something to do with being lfted and the angle of the drag link is changed and therefor changing the angle on the pitman arm/steering box making it easier...or perhaps wearing out bushings making it "seem" easier when it's actually just gotten sloppy which would make it feel easier, yet infact it's just got more play than before

That's all I can really think of...but I'm sure it would be along those lines...

Sean

hm...well i have a rough country adj. trackbar kicking around so maybe I'll slap that in and see if it does anything. alignment...makes sense...can you buy bushings from the local autoparts store?

Yeah, get that track bar on, I'm sure that will solve some of the problems that you are experiencing and if not it will align the axle with the body.

You'll be able to find bushings at pretty much any parts store I imagine. I use Napa usually up here for piddly things like that.

Sean

Back