• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.8 LSD VS Lunchbox locker

ponyracer1

NAXJA Forum User
Did the 8.8 swap and I'm very pleased with the axle, now I'm getting ready for an upcoming regear.

Going with 4.88's because I'm stepping up to 35's. I currently have a lockrite in the D30 front and the factory LSD in the rear 8.8.

Would you swap the LSD for a locker in the rear of an occasionally street driven truck? Where I'm at the terrain is mostly soft stuff. Prob is, I want to go to 60's at some point (prob before next year) so I don't want to sink $500 extra into the rear for a detroit if it's gonna be swapped out soon.

Can you replace the lsd with a lunchbox? I believe you have to start with an open carrier correct?

Or just say to hell with it and stay with the 8.8 and put a detroit in her? Prob go with a spidertrax housing and a hi 9 with a detroit in the front if I do that.

37's will be the largest tire to ever go on this truck. Looking at a set of used 37" boggers at the moment but they measure out at 35" true height.

Suggestions?? Thanks

I say go for it. I've noticed resale value is pretty good on used lockers. You could always Ebay it once you swap axles (that's my plan).
They make a No Slip for the LSD carrier, otherwise you'd have to change it.
I'd probably change the carrier and install an Aussie. In the end the cost would be about the same. I LOVE my front Aussie, and would have one in back, but I have a 8.25:(. They also don't have a limit on tire size for their warrenty! Powertrax does.

Back