• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ford 10.25" vs. dana 60 or 70 ?

mud4x4lover

NAXJA Forum User
:cheers: besides the gearing options and axle options in a dana 60 what is the downside for me running a10.25 rear? and is the 10.25" rear bigger then the 60 or 70 .............anyone have specs? or advise? the reason i ask is i just got a ford 10.25" rear and a hp 44 for the front

A 10.25 has 35 spline full floater shafts, as does a D70, but a D60 has 30 spline full floater shafts. Most D60's are 35 spline and are custom made semi-float rear ends. The 10.25 is the size of the ring gear on the Ford, the D60 has a 9.75" ring gear, and I don't know anything about how much clearance each of them have.

it stronger than the 60, and is in the same class as the 70 and GM 14bolt, the biggest downfall to it is ground clearance so y better be plannin on rinnin big tires

ROBZ95Xj said:
it stronger than the 60, and is in the same class as the 70 and GM 14bolt, the biggest downfall to it is ground clearance so y better be plannin on rinnin big tires
They don't hang down as far as a 14 bolt, though-----Hans

2 other downfalls, they have a screwed up metric bolt pattern, and the a limeted selection for lockers

Is the ford 10.25 the same axle as a sterling like in the 90's F-250 and 350s? Those are the biggest axle I have ever seen besides rockwells... and I guess Ive never seen those!
-Patrick:passgas:

ROBZ95Xj said:
2 other downfalls, they have a screwed up metric bolt pattern, and the a limeted selection for lockers

Ford went to the metric bolt pattern in '99, before that it was the same as Dodge and Chev 8 lug. Ford also went to a 10.75 about the same time, so all the 10.25's might be standard 8 lug pattern.

And yes, nothing hangs down as much as a 14 bolt.

sheeks175 said:
Is the ford 10.25 the same axle as a sterling like in the 90's F-250 and 350s? Those are the biggest axle I have ever seen besides rockwells... and I guess Ive never seen those!
-Patrick:passgas:

Yes, they are the Sterling axles.

so when you says full float verses semi float. is full float riding on a spindle and semi float is riding on the actual axle face?

sorry for the post jack?

Goatman said:
Ford went to the metric bolt pattern in '99, before that it was the same as Dodge and Chev 8 lug. Ford also went to a 10.75 about the same time, so all the 10.25's might be standard 8 lug pattern.

And yes, nothing hangs down as much as a 14 bolt.
my bad i forgot about that part, and ford went to the 10.5 in 99, im not even sure that there is a 10.75

well thats everyone for the comments! i spent all do cutting the old spring perches off and moving them in and re wlding tem back on. tomarrow its the big install of the 10.25" rear end, the front hp44 is going in some time this week as soon as i get all of my links made! thanks again!
jeep2.jpg
jeep3.jpg
jeep4.jpg
JEEPTAHOE.jpg
7.jpg
pic2.jpg

Keep an eye on the pinion bearings. That axle uses a crush sleeve that tends to loosen up, which'll relieve the preload on the bearings and make them wear out faster. If you plan on regearing it you might want to look into a solid spacer / shim kit conversion.

I have a 2006 F250 Crew Cab shortbed and love to look at the rear axle. I guess thats why it can carry 3000 pounds in the bed. Makes my 1999 XJ look small and weak. The 10.25 Sertling/Visteon is a tough axle lots superduties and old school 250/350's running around with huge loads doing just fine.

Last edited:
Back