• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust cut out??

Hammerite_05

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone on here put an exhaust cut out or header dump on there xj/mj?? i was wanting to do this to 88 mj with a 4.0 in it and was just asking for some info on it.

Any particular reason why? I only ask because it seems to be of dubious utility - we just don't rev our engines high enough to need significantly greater exhaust flow.

I have redone two exhausts using Walker Turbo II mufflers and PFP catalytic converters spec'd for BB Chevvy, but I haven't seen a need for a cutout yet (except, possibly, setting off those damn car alarms at school. I don't know why they have them - they're not on anything I'd care to steal...) with the rumble.

I do have to admit - the AMC242 does sound nice running on an open header - I had to run my 87 that way for about an hour when I was taking bits in to get them welded up...

5-90

low back pressure gives you good high end power in trade for low end torque
i dont know about you but i need all the low end i can get
sounds like if you insall it youll be shooting yourself in the foot

I'd not say that - an exhaust cut-out can damn near eliminate backpressure entirely.

However, designing and selecting a good exhaust system should also eliminate backpressure, and we're interested in low-end power (which means relatively low airflow) rather than high-end - which requires much greater airflow.

I can see using a cutout on a high-revving engine (I used to put them on small blocks,) but it's of dubious utility for us. Just my two cents' worth...

5-90

well i had to run my mj with no muffler for a few months and i like the sound of it, but not all the time. i just though it would be cool to have the cut out for when i wanted some noise. so if i got one and when it was in use it would take away my low end power and make more top end.

Some people make the cut out before the cat....will that hurt anything to run the cut out before the cat??

To get more low end power what exhaust system would you guys recomend running more maximum low end??

Back