• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Is a Pacesetter header 50 state legal?

at2_tweak

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I've done a little searching, poking around and as far as I can tell Pacesetter does not make a 50 state legal header for a '96. I even gave them a call and the guy I spoke to confirmed this. I find this kinda interesting because the ones they've got on their website for '87-92 4.0L are 50 state legal and the Wrangler '91-99 4.0L are smog legal too. However, the '94-99 4.0L for the XJ is not 50 state legal. Why would the Wrangler be 50 state legal but not the XJ? Anyone knowlegable in this area? And what makes the header 50 state legal? Just wondering because I'm in CA and need new low cost header.

It probably just doesnt have a carb aproval number.

IMO you can get it use it and when smog time comes keep your mouth shut about having it but then again im not fond of smog laws

Yep, C.A.R.B. is the problem. Most likely Pace Setter did not want to pay to have the header tested to be C.A.R.B. legal.
Here is the problem. Every aftermarket part you buy that has been deemed C.A.R.B. legal comes with an E.O. number on a little sticker. For you to be able to use whatever aftermarket part in CA you have to display this little sticker.
You can buy a Borla header which has an E.O. number for C.A.R.B. and not display the sticker and you will fail an emissions test. Pass the sniffer test and still fail because you don't have the little sticker!
You can try it but if you get a semi smart smog referee you will fail the smog test.

Back