• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockright, 8,25, 4.56's in a DD?

ert01

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,
just wanted some of your guys opinions on this... I recently bought a lockright before doing much research so I didn't know how harsh it can be on my driveline. BUT I got it at a retardedly good price. I almost feel bad for buying it it was that cheap (and brand new as well).

Anyways, I have a 93 XJ w/AW4 (so 3.55's right now) and I'm running 4.5" lift and 33's that I just installed earlier this winter. SO I figured it's time to regear
to 4.56's and put some sort of traction aid in there which is why I jumped on that lockright deal. I drive my Jeep as a DD primarily but do weekend wheeling. I like to push my jeep a bit (it's certainly no princess) which is why I still am fond of putitng that lockright in, butI also don't want to be eating shafts for lunch every weekend.

Opinions, suggestions?

Im running 8.25, 3.55's, 33's, and a Powertrax NO-Slip... and putting 4.56's in tomorrow...

I think it will be just fine on the road. The lockright is just makes a little more noise than the no-slip.

Chris

I run that setup with a no slip in a dd fine with 35s. Consider upgrading to 29 spline shafts since your going to be in it anyways, not too much more money.

Good to hear. Will ice be an issue? I'm in Edmonton and we see our fair share of crappy weather and roads. The guy at the shop where I'm getting the work done said I should consider ditching the lockright altogher and going to an ARB because icy roads are tough on the drivetrain and axle shafts with a lockright. I think he's full of crap and just trying to get me to drop some big coin in his shop.

It will be alot different than an open rear end on ice & snow. Take your time & learn the new characteristics & you will be fine. JIM.

We have a 01 XJ with the 8.25, 4.56s, 32X11.50s and a Lock-Right. We use it as a DD and it does great. As ILLXJ said - take your time and learn how it drives differently. It is definitely different on the ice - but certainly manageable. RJP

Back