• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ Fuel filter mod

Archdukeferdinand

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found nothing.

Anyone figured out a fix for the in-tank filter crap? I'd be willing to look into a '96 fuel pump swap, any reason that'd give me crazy OBDII codes or anything like that?

Archdukeferdinand said:

Anyone figured out a fix for the in-tank filter crap? I'd be willing to look into a '96 fuel pump swap, any reason that'd give me crazy OBDII codes or anything like that?

I was thinking about this too.

But I was going to leave the pump, and just remove the filters. Then I would install a conventional filter in the line somewhere.

I'm going to wait until complete fuel pump failure or severe driveability problems before I throw tons of money/time at it.

Slo-Sho said:
If you did that the pump would suck in all the crap as it would no longer have a filter.

X2

Why would you mess with a proven reliable design?

On my 90 I have NEVER had a problem with the intank filter.

Rev

Archdukeferdinand said:

96 has different tank and probably a different pump.No filter except the screen on the pick-up.
Wayne

Wayne Sihler said:
96 has different tank and probably a different pump.No filter except the screen on the pick-up.
Wayne

Right, initially I had been thinking along the lines of of j99xj, but then after thinking it through realized that there wasn't a feasible way to put any other sort of filter in front of the intake on the 97+ design.

And to revden, can you seriously not see the benefit of not having your fuel filter in your tank? I'm not sure what you mean by proven reliable, but I can say that having spent a lot of time wrenching on big machines that aren't passenger vehicles (tractors, backhoes, fairway mowers, etc) that the in-line filter design is plenty reliable, and that changing your fuel filter relatively often is a good idea.

Which would you rather have as your necessary steps to changing a filter?

A) Put on hose constrictors, change filter

or

B) wait until your gas tank is empty enough to work with, drop gas tank, hope you don't damage delicate pump internals, separate filter element from pump assembly, reassemble same with all of its small parts together, etc...

I'm glad that you never had a problem with your 90, but I am right now having a problem with my 97. The past couple of winters, I've filled up out of the tank at the resort where I work. The gas is good (delivered every couple of weeks) but the storage tank and all pump equipment is old. I find particulate matter in the filters from all of the other machines that we run off of this gas, so I know its getting to my jeep.

The last year or so it's developed a nasty habit when it's first started of idling really rough and nearly stalling/a cylinder or 2 not firing when first put into gear when there's low fuel volume or if the weather is cold. After it warms up it's all good, but I've got a pretty good idea that I'm looking at a fuel filter/pump (hopefully filter) problem.

So back to the issue at hand.

Should I be able to swap in a 96 tank/pump/inline filter setup without generating error codes given the big changes that took place 96-97?

If I have to drop the tank to deal with my problem, I might as well see to it that I don't have to do it again.

Another thing I've been considering is just cutting an access hole in the floor above the tank, but I'd really rather not.

Back