• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Starter Solenoid died...replaced....died...

RickyN29

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe someone knows something I dont.

The solenoid crapped out (tapping it with a hammer would let it start). Ive experienced this many times...

So I replaced the solenoid. Everything was fine for a week or so.

Now same thing.... I have to tap the solenoid to get it to start.

What could it be? Did I do something wrong?

RickyN29 said:
Maybe someone knows something I dont.

The solenoid crapped out (tapping it with a hammer would let it start). Ive experienced this many times...

So I replaced the solenoid. Everything was fine for a week or so.

Now same thing.... I have to tap the solenoid to get it to start.

What could it be? Did I do something wrong?

I used to go through this with SBChevvy starters - did you clean the start motor plunger with some emery cloth or crocus cloth while you had the solenoid off? Sometimes, you'll get some crap on there that makes a "fairly close fit" an "interference fit" - which causes you trouble. Tapping it with the hammer rattles it just enough to break the plunger loose.

I've seen this often enough that it's now standard practise for me - and if I think my start motor is sticking, I'll just clean it with crocus before I look into a replacement.

Rod (San Jose Generator) also does this unconsciously - it's one of the little details I like about his work (just like hitting the comm rings with an emery board - just a touch - before assembling an alternator. Helps the brushes seat quicker, and the brushes will polish the comm rings smooth rather quickly...)

5-90

drive through water much? You could have water getting in there and causing havoc.

Yup, I actually did that. I also put some lube on the shaft (not sure if that was okay, but figured it wouldn't hurt).

I went ahead a bought a whole new starter unit. I am hoping that fixes it.

Starter looks to be really really old, but it did fire the Jeep right up, a nice fast winding.

This in on my 88.

Out to finish the SYE on the 90, and then pop the starter in the 88. Gotta love both Jeeps taking a crap the same night. Always seems to happen like that.

FatXJ: Nope, no water crossings, this is the bone stock daily driver Jeep.

It was likely the brushes and not the solenoid. When you tapped the solenoid, you seated the brushes a little. Which usually doesn't work very long. But will often get you a start or few more.

8Mud said:
It was likely the brushes and not the solenoid. When you tapped the solenoid, you seated the brushes a little. Which usually doesn't work very long. But will often get you a start or few more.
Makes sense. But wouldn't that mean that the starter would not work so well when it did work? After tapping, it would crank over nice and fast.

My sister has been having this problem with her Briarwoody off and on for the past few years and we weren't too sure if it was the solenoid or the aftermarket antitheft alarm that disabled the starter. She and Dad finally gave up and stuck a suprisingly nice looking reman in it last night.

RickyN29 said:
Makes sense. But wouldn't that mean that the starter would not work so well when it did work? After tapping, it would crank over nice and fast.
The brushes seat and away she goes. It's been my experience, that if the brushes get a good contact, she will turn over just fine, even if the brushes are worn. Oil and mud can act a little different, sometimes you can hear the brushes make a frying bacon sound, trying to get contact. There is a lot of amps traveling through there.
If the rubber seal for the solenoid is not torn, there really is not much to go wrong with it. They have a pretty good seal and rust isn't often a problem. They seem to last forever. In like 18-19 years of XJ, I've never replaced a solenoid. Brushes, Bendix and overrunning clutch, but never a solenoid. I've opened a few up, for a look see. Which turned out to be a waste of time. They are usually hard to get apart.

8Mud said:
The brushes seat and away she goes. It's been my experience, that if the brushes get a good contact, she will turn over just fine, even if the brushes are worn. Oil and mud can act a little different, sometimes you can hear the brushes make a frying bacon sound, trying to get contact. There is a lot of amps traveling through there.
If the rubber seal for the solenoid is not torn, there really is not much to go wrong with it. They have a pretty good seal and rust isn't often a problem. They seem to last forever. In like 18-19 years of XJ, I've never replaced a solenoid. Brushes, Bendix and overrunning clutch, but never a solenoid. I've opened a few up, for a look see. Which turned out to be a waste of time. They are usually hard to get apart.
Cool, thank you very much for the information! I have offically learned something new.

Back