• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Complete steering column removal

89jeepxjw

NAXJA Forum User
So once again this thing has came back and bitten me right on the arse. There are so many things that are wrong with my jeep due to my steering column(tail lamps,turn signals,dashlights, and radio MIA) So i have decided to go ahead and swap out my crappy column for one from a wrecking yard. SO far ive got the two 15mm bolts that mount the column and every connection unpluged but im missing somehting. I see one or two bolts that are going into the firewall where the column goes through,im just assuming these need to come out? Ive searched as to how i get the whole thing out but i came up with just bits and pieces. So if someone out there can give me a link or instructions from begining to end on removing the entire column it would be greatly appreciated! thanks!

When multiple seperate circuits are all having issues, it is frequently the ignition switch located at the bottom of the steering column, which has a number of contacts inside it. This is for years which use the GM steering column (like your 1989). Have you replaced that? it is a lot easier than replacing the whole steering column- especially since another used column may have a well-worn switch. Sorry if I have missed some history on this problem.

Yep. the two 1/2" bolts at the firewall have to come out. Then you need to borrow someone with midgit hands to reach down between the manifold and the brake booster & proportioning valve, scraping the entire hand, wrist and forearm while reaching for the steering shaft yoke at the firewall. Back out the 7/16 retainer nut almost all the way out, then the column will come free.

I agree with 4xBob, try replacing the ignition switch first. Since you have removed the two 15mm bolts under the dash you are almost there anyway. Let it droop down enough to get to the switch on top of the column. Remove the black portion of the plug first, then the blue. You will probably find a terminal or two are fried.

The turn signals are on the 11 terminal connector on the side of the column. Check that one too, and make sure you get it put back together tight. It's easy to get it almost together but not quite.

Guess what I did this weekend.

Back