• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rear window washer inop

viperbaron

NAXJA Forum User
For some, inexplicable reason, the rear window squirter isn't spraying anymore. The wiper just smears the crud now. Got fluid & front washer works fine.
Any suggestions on what to inspect to remedy this conundrum?
Thanks!

Disconnect the rear washer hose from the wash bottle (have something handy to cap off the end of the bottle if you like) and try to blow through the hose. If you get fluid coming out the back wiper, the pump has died. If you get blue in the face and no fluid comes out, there's a clog in the line.

If clogged, first place to check is inside the rear hatch. There is a splice connecter in the line there that has a one-way ball check valve that gets crudded up with dirt/algae - just clean it and put it back. Then pull your nasty wash tank and clean it in the sink with some bleach or something :D

I think everyone who has ever removed the back hatch has broken the retainers even when using the correct tool.. (the "tree" clip doesn't break - the plastic retainer that holds it to the panel does)

So, be sure you have the correct tool, and then know that you may have to pick up some new clips and trim them to fit into the broken retainers like (couple pics at http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=97746&highlight=clip)

Once you can slot them into the retainer (imo tight fit is best), throw some JB weld in the reatiner, pop the clip into it, and let it set for 24 hours.

Last edited:
Well darn...I took the rear door inner panel off last night...what a way to spend New Years eve.
Inspected that little valve, drew a vacuum on the line...nothing seemed defective in the back end.
Looking up front, I see where the designers were very creative at hiding the washer tank. Looks like I'll have to "pop" the fender liner out to gain access to the washer tank now & the pump for the rear squirter.
K...

viperbaron said:
Well darn...I took the rear door inner panel off last night...what a way to spend New Years eve.
Inspected that little valve, drew a vacuum on the line...nothing seemed defective in the back end.
Looking up front, I see where the designers were very creative at hiding the washer tank. Looks like I'll have to "pop" the fender liner out to gain access to the washer tank now & the pump for the rear squirter.
K...
It isnt easy, there not much room,dont forget about the front bolt.

Last edited:
No voltage to motor

OK, I'm now down to trying to figure out why I have no voltage to the rear washer fluid pump motor. The line is clear (blew it out to verify), but the little motor never spins up and no voltage is indicated with my test probe when I depress the rear washer button. The wiper operates fine, just no fluid.
The manual has been of no help. Which fuse is it for that thing anyway?
Acording to the service manual wiring diags; if the wiper works, then the pump should too.
ARGH!
Anyone have an idea?
Thanks!

The switches often go bad. Replaced mine and everythings fine now.

Sorry if this reply comes too late. When I got my XJ, the wiper worked fine, but something felt wrong when I pressed it further to squirt the fluid. It was the switch, which I also took apart to see why it only worked for the wiper. There was a TINY plastic piece too worn to work correctly. I MacGuyvered it and it works now, but I shoulda just bought a new switch.

Back