• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Grease gun suggestion

attworth

NAXJA Forum User
I'm almost ready to take my rig out and have some fun with it. However, I'd like to grease everything up real good before doing so. I've never had anything that really needed grease, so I don't own a grease gun. I was wondering if anybody could recommend a brand, or a certain style that works best. I want something that'll last atleast the life of the Jeep (which should be a while if I can maintain it.)

Thanks in advance.

Tony

I haven't found any grease guns lately that aren't half way decent. I'd just go to your local auto parts store and buy what you can afford. They come in two basic sizes, full size
218724.jpg

and small
218753.jpg

The grease is more important. I prefer "Red Grease". Most automotive stores carry it. You'll pay between $10 to $30 dollars for the guns, depending on what you get. There are more expensive "full size" as they tend to have a higher pumping PSI, but the average Joe usually doesn't need it.

Last edited:
The only thing I'd add to the above is that you'll probably be glad if you get a flexible hose for the gun, and make sure the nozzle is of good quality. Some cheap nozzles fall off the fitting. Flexible hoses make it a little easier to reach fittings without contortions, especially the top ball joints.

picked up a black one like in the picture from Wal-Mart and then a flex tube extension so I can reach places . I have absolutely zero problems.

Do yourself a favor and go for the pistol grip large style, the long handled lever one isn't that great as it requires two handed operation unless you're talented. As mentioned above a flex hose would be nice as well as an adapter for greasing the double cardan joint on the front DS and if you have serviceable lower ball joints. I've had good luck with using 'marine' grease on all my greasables, helps resist washout a little better when playing in deep mud.:)

cheapo mini Autozone piece made by that "OEM" brand works great for me

and definitely get a flex hose

the real question is who makes a gun that doesn't leak when it's not being used?

Back