• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Floor pan welding

ttocsnekia

NAXJA Forum User
I have only heard of using a mig on the lowest setting, but I have a 70 amp 110 volt arc welder at home, and was wondering if anyone has done this? I will using either 16 or 18 gauge steel to replace them
Thanks
Scott

I used 20 only because I had a bunch of it laying around. I didnt have very big holes in my floor and I just tossed them ontop and welded them in If i was to do it again i would use 16 or 18 and if one was cutting out and welding in a whole new pan i would use 16 for sure.

I am pretty good stick welding. however I would find it to be very difficult to try to stich weld your floor pans back in with a stick. I would rivot them in for the time being, until you can find someone with a mig. You can control the heat a lot easier with a mig.

mig or tig only don't use an arc don't even see if it works you won't be happy prep is key spend extra time prepping the area while you aquire a mig\

ok, got the project almost done today, used self tapping sheet metal screws and 18 gauge sheet metal. Just the screws are plenty strong enough. Might make a little build thread if there is any interest
Scott

Back