• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how long for rustys 3" install?

philip_g

NAXJA Forum User
it's cold and snowy out and it seems like the jeep fights me every inch of the way on everything, so how long did your install take?
I'm trying to decide if I should do it saturday or not. It's a full pack kit. I have air tools for where they can be used... and my rear shocks were just done a few months ago so I am confident they'll be no problem.

I assume they use salt in colorado?
what all is in the rusty's kit?
If you're doing control arms be prepared to cut the bolts if they're seized in the bushings.
I completed a front and rear axle swap with a 3" lift on the MJ in a 3 day weekend..
There were three of us the first day and the axles got under the jeep after about 7 hours.
old rubber bushings are a mess, 20 year old rusted suspension bolts are a mess. All my bolts were sprayed with PB blaster every other day for 2 weeks prior to attempting the install.
It would be really nice to have a second vehicle around to go and get replacement bolts and such.

honestly no way of telling.

my personal 3" lift (front coils and rear add-a-leafs with shocks) took me 2hours even. then at a later date i added the lower control arms which took me about 30minutes.

i've also installed a complete 3.5" lift (front coils, lower control arms, complete rear leafs with shocks) that ended up taking me almost 19hours.

My 4.5RE kit took me about 5 1/2 hours with two professional mechanics, a lift, and all their tools helping me to get it in. I would say it all depends.

It really is dependent on the person who is doing the lift, and the experience you have. The first lift I put on with my pops took a weekend and the next time we did it i would guess we netted about 10 hours or so...seems like everytime you have one thing or another that can make the project run long.

I did my Rusty's 3" in about 6 hours by myself. No air tools, just breaker bars. Keep in mind I had a cali/southern vehicle with no rust, I didn't break any bolts or have to cut anything.

87manche said:
I assume they use salt in colorado?
what all is in the rusty's kit?

Nope. No salt but the car lived out east for awhile and is usually a bear.

looks like just shocks and springs

• 2 - 3" Front Coil Springs
• 2 - 3" Rear Leaf Packs
• Rear Brake Line Extension
• 4 - Rusty's Hydraulic Shocks
• Complete Instruction

you get what you pay for Hasta

main concern is I need the jeep to get to work on Sunday so I can start tonight but have to finish up tomorrow. Need to get it done the AAL's I have in the back won't stay put and keep fanning out.

I am starting on the 2nd day of my 3" install. started at 9 yesterday morning,stopped at around 10 p.m when I broke a front sway bar link and no store was open to get new ones. I got the rear done last night,hopefully the front will be done EARLY today. But my jeep has lived most of it's life in Illinois,so I am breaking off just about every bolt I touch,even after soaking everything in PB blaster and deep creep every day for a week before I started. And this is my 1st vehicle I have ever lifted,so it is taking me longer than most people probably.

I got a really dumb suggestion, use stainless steel fasteners every chance you get. They do not cost much more nowadays, I know cause I use hundreds of SS screws, bolts daily. Check out Graingers, McMaster-Carr, and Ace, True Value, Home Depot, Lowes.

It won't help you today, but in a year, or whenever you need to change something..... I use some lube too, Permatex Anti-Seize is my fav. :viking:

be prepared for front leaf spring bolts to fight you if you are replacing them, took me 5 hours just to get those bastards out but only an hour or so to put the rest in.

doesn't matter now anyway, nobody taught UPS how to put snow chains on and drive in 3 fucking inches of snow so they've stopped delivering.

Last week I had a next day air package that sat for 6 days. Boy that never gets old. You think we stop flying sick people because the weather in denver gets crappy? Hell no.

Last edited:
Ive done four 3-4" lifts, every one took 4-6 hours, 2 were NJ vehicles with rust and corrosion

Too bad you're not up North. I have a portapower ram setup that really helps getting things hooked back up easily. Good Luck.

well I have the leaves but UPS left the other two boxes behind. Do I install the leaves and drive it with a 3" in back and 0 up front and no shocks? heh.

I really wish more people would ship fedex ground, the rates are comparable and the service is so much better..

hey while your waiting..

if you dont already have one, get an angle grinder and a bunch of cutoff wheels. a sawzall would help too, but the grinder is just so helpul with cutting bolts off quickly and efficiently. get thing cutting blades and thick grinding wheels(1/4")
trust me, it helps

rocklandxjer said:
hey while your waiting..

if you dont already have one, get an angle grinder and a bunch of cutoff wheels. a sawzall would help too, but the grinder is just so helpul with cutting bolts off quickly and efficiently. get thing cutting blades and thick grinding wheels(1/4")
trust me, it helps

Did buy an angle grinder, no way you'd get this job one without.

some idiot put a uhaul hitch on the jeep and it blocks the rear bolts from coming out so I cut them. I don't know why but the hitch wouldn't come off.
The fronts were of course seized tight so I cut the springs off, then cut again as far up as I could through the spring, then cut the bushing in both places and peeled it off so I could cut the inner sleeve with a dremel.

the other side didn't go as smooth and I couldn't get the bushing cut so I burned it off with a torch and beat the bushing and remainder of the spring off while it was hot... then cut the sleeve and pried/beat it off.

Hopefully the front won't be such a bear to do.

Back