• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

testament to aw4

deesiexj

NAXJA Forum User
my grandpa had an xj that he gave to me not long ago. however, i had been experiencing some problems with the transmission, so i took it in. the mechanic looked at it and took it apart. later that day, the mechanic called me and said he believed that the transmission had been running for 17 years, over 170000 miles, on the original trans fluid and filter. the fluid was about the consistency of cake batter :doh:, and i think its a testament to the transmission that it lasted as long and still works as well as it does with basically no lubrication. just thought i would share

It is one of the more durable transmissions available. In 2005 I drove 500 miles with mine full of water, and after a fluid change I'm still driving on it now.

cal said:
It is one of the more durable transmissions available. In 2005 I drove 500 miles with mine full of water, and after a fluid change I'm still driving on it now.

Someone has to say,

"Don't try this at home, Kids!"

Yeah. I had a deep water incident. Drained the diffs and checked the oil (was ok) but the trans slipped my mind .. until several hundred miles later, when I downshifted and sprayed boiling atf/water suspension all over the car behind me. :)

Back