• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seam sealer funk smell- remove it?

unrealtrip

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so my Jeep took a lot of water on the passenger side. Long story short, the carpet got moldy and started to reek. Pulled that, but now there is still a light "funk" smell for lack of a better word.

So either the smell was absorbed into the fabric in the Jeep, which while possible seems unlikely, if I sniff the other carpet, headliner etc no stink OR the seam sealer around that floorpan which appears to still be semi-pliable (can stick a fingernail in it) absorbed some of that stinky water.

What do you think? I'm covering the whole floorpan with sprayed on Durabak this weekend, I'm hoping that will seal in the smell. Anyone have any ideas?

Someone at work suggested a dilute Clorox/water blend to kill the mold in the seam sealer. Then I figured, well I could create a big batch of it, and basically reflood the passenger side with it, let it soak up overnight then drain in the morning and dry it out.

also throw in a box of baking soda, it will help to draw away moisture and the odor. You can also put charcoal briquetes in a paper sack and that will help draw moisture away as well...but you may want to use the mesquite briquetes or a decent flavored one so that you XJ does not smell like a moldy charcoal grill!! Charcoal really does help take out odors and moisture though..

Back