• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clutch leak down problem

j-nut

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 95 cherokee se with a 5 speed. When I got it the clutch would slowly engage with the pedal to the floor like it had a leak but in 3,000 miles I've lost no fluid. It used to take about 10 seconds, and I figured I'd fix it in the spring, but on the way home today it started to take about a second to engage. I assume that either the slave cylinder or master cylinder has an internal leak through the diapham. Has anyone else had this problem and what would you advice.

You hit it on the head; it's the master/slave integrated assembly. I say assembly because the master and slave along with its connecting plastic tube are all one integrated unit in the '94-'96 (and probably other years also) models. You need to replace them as a single unit with part number 5210-7701 from the dealer or equivalent. It costs about $150.00 and doesn't require any bleeding ... you can't actually bleed it as it's a closed system ... and is very easy to install (two bolts at the firewall and two at the bellhousing). Some people replace the single unit with a separate master, slave and steel line for strength but that will end up costing you more and only offers benefit if you do serious wheeling. Others will differ, but I've found the integrated unit with its plastic hydraulic line to be very strong and typically lasts 150k miles or more.

Re: clutch leak down problem - NEED ADVICE FAST!

I am actually doing this right now. I had to replace the entire unit about 40K ago and have forgotten if the plastic cap and strap unit that holds the slave piston in place stays on then snaps off on the first use or if it is to be removed before installing into the tranny. I think it stays,l but I cannot remember to save my life. Any definite input would be a huge help and will let me get my XJ out of the garage tonight!

Back