• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear axle oil leak through the breather line

R-IK

NAXJA Forum User
After a week of investigation I pinpoint a leak from my rear axle via the breather line and have no idea why do I have it.

The rear axle is a Dana 35. it has started after I lifted my XJ (2001) with a RE 3.5" kit.
As far as I have been told, there is no connection between the lift to the leak. correct me if I wrong?

I thought that it may be a surplus liquid that is getting out of the breather line but it does not stop. each day I found few drops of it.

Did any one of you had such a problem or heard about it? and what was the solution?

Thanks and Merry Christmas for you all.

could have to do with the angle the pinion is on since you lifted it. just a guess. ny 92 leaks since i put a 4.5 rough country on it, but mine leaks out of the crappy rubber seal on the cover.

Did you replace the rear flexible brake line with a longer one? Check the depth of the block that bolts to the axel if you did, they are not all the same. If it isn't as deep as stock then the breather line will go further into the axle housing and suck up diff fluid. You may need to space the block out or trim the end off the breather/bolt that holds the block on.

Cheers
Steve

It will stop eventully!!!! Na mine did the same thing, pulled the cover prior to lifting it, refilled overfull of oil. Then when I rotated the pinion I got an OIL SLICK coming out of the frame rail from the breather venting into the frame.

Steve F said:
Did you replace the rear flexible brake line with a longer one? Check the depth of the block that bolts to the axel if you did, they are not all the same. If it isn't as deep as stock then the breather line will go further into the axle housing and suck up diff fluid. You may need to space the block out or trim the end off the breather/bolt that holds the block on.

Cheers
Steve

I replaced the rear break line with the RE's longer one.
Will check the depth of the block against the stock one.

ponyracer1 said:
It will stop eventully!!!! Na mine did the same thing, pulled the cover prior to lifting it, refilled overfull of oil. Then when I rotated the pinion I got an OIL SLICK coming out of the frame rail from the breather venting into the frame.

It will stop when there will be no liquid in the rear axle :smootch: . but maybe there is an issue with the pinion’s new angle.
I used the RE transfer case lowering kit (~2cm). Should I consider adding additional spacers to overcome the angle? Did you try it?

R-IK said:
It will stop when there will be no liquid in the rear axle :smootch: . but maybe there is an issue with the pinion’s new angle.
I used the RE transfer case lowering kit (~2cm). Should I consider adding additional spacers to overcome the angle? Did you try it?

Na I swaped the D35 for an 8.8!! No probs anymore!! It won't pump the diff dry, it will just get rid of excess oil to a level it likes then it'll stop. If RE sent you the stuff then use it, I'm sure they would sort it out if it was a problem.

R-IK said:
I replaced the rear break line with the RE's longer one.
Will check the depth of the block against the stock one.

Looks like this is it.
The block stock size is 1.8cm (0.7 inches) whereas the RE is 1cm (0.39 inches).
Added a screw nut at the top of it and will check for a leak on a day basis.
Will keep you up to date.

Thanks, Arik.

I have had a couple of stock XJ's do this. My response to the problem was to pull the vent out of the axle, and then trim off the material hanging below the threaded part that screws into the axle tube. Now, no more leak ( at least with the stock thickness brake line junction block).

ren said:
I have had a couple of stock XJ's do this. My response to the problem was to pull the vent out of the axle, and then trim off the material hanging below the threaded part that screws into the axle tube. Now, no more leak ( at least with the stock thickness brake line junction block).

Didn't want to trim it before I see that this is the problem. in a couple of days I'll be much wiser.

Back