• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 MJ Gauge Cluster Swap - Tach no worky

joshv98xj

NAXJA Forum User
I just did the boneyard gauge swap to trade my massive fuel gauge for a tach, but my tach doesn't seem to be working at all? Did I not get the right gauge cluster? Is there some other sensor or sending unit I need to buy? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks-

JOSH

should make any difference then.
it "should" have been a drop in install, but if it's not working you need to verify that the tach has a connection to the coil.
I believe it's a green wire.

I just checked, the green wire is there and plugged in, how do I go about testing if it is sending some type of signal? I was looking thru a FSM pdf file I have, and one of the diagrams of all the sensors shows an "engine speed sensor." Could that have anything to do with this?

the engine speed sensor is the CPS, unrelated.
the tach get's it's signal directly from the coil. I'd clean the contacts and check for continuity.

Kind of a long shot, but a lot of electric tachs grab their power from the courtesy lamps. If your interior lights aren't working when you open the door, check the fuses to be sure you haven't popped one and then see if the tach is working.

Back