• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Trasfer case fluid

ozbornm

NAXJA Forum User
I have never run across this before. What fluid is in the rear half of a np231 transfer case. I don't have the manual and am trying to find out.

So you run ATF in the trasfer case? I was looking in my brother inlaws and he had GL-5 Gear oil in the T case. Or atleast thats what it smelled like.

gear oil in the t-case is bad!!! It's far too thick and the pump will not move it.
ATF is the right stuff.

drain, fill with atf, run.
repeat until clean atf comes out.
It's still possible that he drastically cut the life of the case short.

WAIT A SECOND

some transfer cases use gear oil make sure that is what it is suposed to have in it before you go putting atf in it.

the 231 t cases uses trans fluid but the nissan i use to have took gear oil and I know a few other guys that have them using gear oil but I dont know what model they are

I just found out he took it to his mechanic and apparently they put the gear oil in it without checking to see what it should be. Mine has ATF I just checked it. My brother in laws has Gear oil. I think that the mechanic just didn't know what the hell he was doing. It was only like 700 miles ago though so hopefully it didn't hurt it to bad. I will help him flush it out this evening and put in atf.

dzraces said:
WAIT A SECOND

some transfer cases use gear oil make sure that is what it is suposed to have in it before you go putting atf in it.

the 231 t cases uses trans fluid but the nissan i use to have took gear oil and I know a few other guys that have them using gear oil but I dont know what model they are
I hadn't thgouht it may not be a jeep, so that's a good point.

ozbornm said:
I just found out he took it to his mechanic and apparently they put the gear oil in it without checking to see what it should be. Mine has ATF I just checked it. My brother in laws has Gear oil. I think that the mechanic just didn't know what the hell he was doing. It was only like 700 miles ago though so hopefully it didn't hurt it to bad. I will help him flush it out this evening and put in atf.
call the mechanic and ask what was put in the case before you mess with it.
if the mechanic verifies that it was gear oil I would make the mechanic make it right.
This is your best recourse, especially if it dies in another 1K miles because the bearings were starved for lube.
at the very least document what comes out of it, if the mechanic was the last person to put fluid in it then you have that.

Rev Den said:
Ummm....Just to further confuse things...

You said the "back half"...are you considering the transmission and transfer case one in the same?

Rev
another valid point.

Let's clear this all up in one post.
an AW4 automatic transmission takes Dexron II/III
A Standard transmission (ba-10, ax-4,5,15) Takes Gear oil
the Transfer case (np231/242) takes ATF

This is an AW4
aw4_rlq.jpg

This is an AX series man trans:
ax15_ftdq.jpg

and this is a transfer case

np231_lrq.jpg

and to clarify further the AX-5 and AX-15 take a GL-3 rated lube not the newer GL-5.

Back