• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will not start until after 5 minutes

HeavyMetal

NAXJA Forum User
Now this is something i dont quite understand.

Lets say i drive to the bank, turn off my jeep, run inside to the bank ATM, and come back outside in a couple minutes, the jeep will Not start unless i wait a few minutes, and after that it fires right up without issues.

basically when i shut my jeep off, it isnt gonna start back up unless i wait a few minutes, a major inconvenience when im just running errands

it doesnt crank or anything, i turn the key all the way and it acts like its just on ACC until i wait a few mins and fire it up

wtf?

NSS, try popping it in N then turning the key, theres a good write-up on how to clean it, search it

my 96 does the EXACT same thing when it isn't driven for a while

I was thinking NSS too, cuz for a lonnnnggg time even pre-dating ever having starting issues my reverse lights only worked 1/3 of the time. But, i cant start the jeep in neutral or in any way when this problem happens, but if i wait its fine, could it still be NSS?

I'd say yes, Sometimes mine also won't start in N, I just have to wait

It went for a day without starting once

It only gets cranky if its not driven alot though so I havn't cleaned the switch

ok so looks like this is what ill be tackling next on the jeep. problem has persisted, typically i cant start it in anything for the 5-20 minutes, but today for the heck of it i went into neutral after trying for 5 minutes to start it in park, and it fired up.

Will this basically seal the deal on it being the NSS? i trust what ebxjbob said im just lookin for as much input about this before i get into it out there with the NSS

Back