• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CB Antenna

caglezxj

NAXJA Forum User
I searched and found a lot of good places to mount a regular antenna. But I am looking for info on a window mount antenna.

I searched and found a very nice window mount antenna. Looks a lot like a cell phone antenna. Does these work?

Mine will be for trail use only and I like the slick look also. I might go with a whip style on the rear bumper sense I have an exo cage and custom bumpers.

No, they really don't work very well. The range of the radio is severely limited on both transmit and receive. Look at www.firestik.com for antenna info and many different mounting brackets. A magnet mount antenna is a much better choice.

Tim_MN said:
No, they really don't work very well. The range of the radio is severely limited on both transmit and receive. Look at www.firestik.com for antenna info and many different mounting brackets. A magnet mount antenna is a much better choice.

Thanks for the info. That is what I was thinking. Here is my back up. Will all this stuff work.

http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-firefly-foot-flexable-antenna-p-896.html
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-ss124a-stainless-steel-flat-universal-mount-p-609.html
http://www.walcottcb.com/firestik-k8a-single-18-foot-coax-with-pl259-connectors-p-200.html

That is whats on my shopping cart. I am about to order. Do I need anything else?

Stay away from the window mounts, they are a waist of money. I would go with the Firestick II if you want a fixed mount or if you want to go with a magnetic mount go with the "Lil' Wil" made by Wilson. Its a short wip with a extremly large magnet. I run one or the other of these antenna's on my 4 XJ's. Both perform extremely well and both have thier advantages.

caglezxj said:
so will the one I picked out work? and all the attachments?

Will it technically "work" sure, will you be able to talk to the people you want to, maybe. If all you want to do is talk to the guy directly in front or behind you, then that antenna will probably work. However you’re severely cutting yourself short.

When I go out, I want my CB to be able to reach as far out as possible to not only be able to pick up people on the trail with me, but in some cases people much further away, such as when someone shows up late and I have to give them directions on how to catch up to us. I need to be able to talk to people on the highway if where all traveling together. And in one case a friend of mine had to use his CB to call for a rescue helicopter after one of the people he was wheeling with had a major life threatening rollover a few years ago. (He survived and wheels to this day) When I hit my talk button I want to know that I'm going to get as much reach as possible with my CB, and a little antenna like that just isn't going to cut it. I use a Firestick II like suggested before and am thinking about upgrading to a longer version of the same antenna. I don’t cut an corners in regards to my Jeep, and that includes on my CB.

caglezxj said:
That is whats on my shopping cart. I am about to order. Do I need anything else?

You have all you will need for parts. Firestik antennas are one of my favorites and is a top quality product that will last for years.

Find or borrow an SWR meter to tune the antenna. Unless you tune the antenna it may hurt your radio. Read all about it at the Firestik TECH section.

Good luck.

FiFo said:
Will it technically "work" sure, will you be able to talk to the people you want to, maybe. If all you want to do is talk to the guy directly in front or behind you, then that antenna will probably work. However you’re severely cutting yourself short.

When I go out, I want my CB to be able to reach as far out as possible to not only be able to pick up people on the trail with me, but in some cases people much further away, such as when someone shows up late and I have to give them directions on how to catch up to us. I need to be able to talk to people on the highway if where all traveling together. And in one case a friend of mine had to use his CB to call for a rescue helicopter after one of the people he was wheeling with had a major life threatening rollover a few years ago. (He survived and wheels to this day) When I hit my talk button I want to know that I'm going to get as much reach as possible with my CB, and a little antenna like that just isn't going to cut it. I use a Firestick II like suggested before and am thinking about upgrading to a longer version of the same antenna. I don’t cut an corners in regards to my Jeep, and that includes on my CB.

did you see my next post . My back up was the firefly 4' with all firefly attachments. I think you was still talking about the window antenna. But thanks for your help.

Tim_MN said:
You have all you will need for parts. Firestik antennas are one of my favorites and is a top quality product that will last for years.

Find or borrow an SWR meter to tune the antenna. Unless you tune the antenna it may hurt your radio. Read all about it at the Firestik TECH section.

Good luck.

I will find someone with a SWR meter. Or buy one from radio shack. I believe this set up is the best for my application. I am going to weld a bracket onto my rear exo cage pillar that goes down to my rear bumper. I will attach the bracket to it. Should work fine. again, thanks for everything.

caglezxj said:
Ive got a Radio Shack SWR meter but the one you linked to will probably work fine. You will need to purchase a short (3') piece of coax to run from the radio to the meter if the meter doesnt include it(which it probably wont).
I think youve made a good decision about not going with the window mount. I dont have first hand experience with them but I, like you, considered one until I started reading around and no one had anything good to say about them. I eneded up mounting a short whip on the roof rack with a folding ant mount so I can fold it down for low clearance and loading my canoe on the roof.

Ray H said:
Ive got a Radio Shack SWR meter but the one you linked to will probably work fine. You will need to purchase a short (3') piece of coax to run from the radio to the meter if the meter doesnt include it(which it probably wont).
I think youve made a good decision about not going with the window mount. I dont have first hand experience with them but I, like you, considered one until I started reading around and no one had anything good to say about them. I eneded up mounting a short whip on the roof rack with a folding ant mount so I can fold it down for low clearance and loading my canoe on the roof.

I ordered everything, including the SWR meter and 3' cable. My wife bought me the cobra 75 wx st hand held unit. I think it is very nice. Sense our rides doesn't have a lot of room it all being in the mic will be nice.

2nd question.
How have you been wiring yours? I know I want to wire it to a 12v source that stays on all the time. However what is the best way to wire it to keep the noise out. I had a buddy one time wire his straight to the battery and it had a lot of noise. My radio doesn't work, and for now I was thinking about wiring it to the fuse block & terminate it in the radio location.

Thanks for everyones help.

I use one of these I got from AutoZone. http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=071-580
Its quick and easy and Im happy how clear my radio is.
I have been told that the best (cleanest) power source is directly to the battery. I think most interference comes from poor routing of the power wire and antenna coax. I took pains to keep the power and coax as far from flashers, buzzers, motors, and high current sources as I could. I have a pretty basic setup, just a $50 radio, $35 antenna and 18' of the smaller RG58 coax, and I get out about two miles clearly and reliabilily through the woods. Probably alot further on the interstate.

How do I get the electric fan noise and other noise out of the radio? It is wired through my fuse block directly to a 12v source thats stays on all the time. Much help needed.

Keep the CB power wire and antenna coax as far from buzzers, motors, AM/FM, and high power wires as you can. I know, its a daunting task and nearly impossible. Dont zip tie the CB power and Ant. coax to these items.
This is one of the reasons I chose to mount my CB up between the visors. No problem keeping the CB stuff away from other stuff up there. Same with my antenna, its up on the roof now and far from everything.
The other solution would be some kind of isolator on the power wire and coax. Im not up on those so maybe someone else will kick in for that.

Back