• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE bearings. Are there any?

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to track down a bearing noise and am thinking that it is coming from the SYE. I have checked all u-joints on driveshafts and axleshafts. Taken off driveshafts one at a time and noise is still there. It is coming from the middle of the jeep and the only other thing that I can think it could be is the SYE.
Is there bearings in there that could possibly go bad and can be replaced? I bought this jeep with the SYE on it already so I don't know about the internals of them. Any info on this is greatly appreciated.
Oh yeah, even changed both hubs so that is not it either.

Kim.

Yes there are bearings(and lots of them in the transfer case).Who's SYE kit is it?

The kit came from Advance Adapters. I think the sound is coming from the SYE housing connected to the tranfer case. No noises from inside the tc itself. Any other thoughts out there?

Kim.

If a transfer case bearing was failing, there would most certainly be some metal and grit in the oil, though the magnet would soak up a lot of it.
Drain the t-case oil if in doubt, should be some sort of red. Black=bad.

I have drained the tranfer case already and no metal. I was thinking that there were some bearings by the yoke on the SYE that could be making the noise. I will find out today for sure if that is it. I am waiting for the proper grease fitting to grease the pivoting ball on my rear driveshaft. Hope that is the problem.

Kim.

Back