• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ D44

Begster

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys I did some searching, found stuff on D44s but nothing mentioned any TJ's

My friend is going to be doing a bunch of work on her 60th edition TJ soon, putting a D60 and 14 bolt in. She has a D44 in the back, and I was wondering if I'll be able to put this in my rear. I know I would have to do a lot of work on bracketry and everything, and I would have to more than likely regear the front for this (Its out of a 4.0L standard tranny). Its only got 55,000 miles on it and she has a quick lock locker in the box ready to be put in it.

You guys think this is worth it? Should I try to get it when she gets the work done on hers finished?

If I did this, what else would I have to do to fit it?

The switch is pretty straight forwared, you need to cut the trackbar brackets off the D44 and the coil pring perches then have new leaf spring mounts welded on. Thats it... other than the gearing issue... If you plan on lifting your XJ you might even want to have the new mounts welded on with the correct angle you would normally us a shim for.. also depending on the model TJ it might even have disc brakes factory if it's an unlimited. Two years ago I even saw a half dozen saharas with D44's and disc's sitting on the dealers lot...the salesman never even noticed...

Thanks a lot. Ya thats what I was thinking, I knew I would have to cut off a bunch of the brackets if I were to do this. I already have a 5.5 lift on her, so I was also thinking about shiming the new brackets. I don't know if it has disks, Its a 60th edition Jeep, and thats all I know. She won't have the axle off for a while so I won't be able to check for a little while.

If you do get it the the disc brake parts are available from jeep using jeep parts. Just get the mounting brackets out of the TJ unlimited, they all came stock with rear discs... you don't even have to make the hole bigger on the backing plate/bracket.

She will be selling the front D30 and the D44 as a pair, and they have 3.73 gears. I currently have 3.55s and I have 32's. She will be selling the quicklock locker for $350 since its brand new, and this is all as a package. She isn't sure what she will want for the axles yet. If the D30 is a low pinion, would I be able to switch the gears with my high pinion D30? (Ya I know people will say used gears are louder but that doesn't matter to me) Is it worth trying to get?

I was thinking I could then turn around and sell one of the D30's and my 29 spline Chyrsler 8.25 to make some of the money back.

If you have a high pinion you cannot used the gears out of the low pinion. Totally different cut on the gears.
You will have to cut off and replace the shock mounts too.

dont bother with the locker get an Aussie i heard they are better and only about 220 for a d44

TJ Rubicons come with the disc, not regular TJ's. i have rubicon disc brakes installed in my 97TJ.

yes if you can get your hands on a TJ rear D44, by all means do it. and if you wanna be real sweat about it, then instead of converting the TJ axle to leaf spring, how about you put the TJ rear suspension in the back of the cherokee. coils all around baby. i'd do that over leaf springs anyday if i had the time for it.

I Just bought new leaf springs 2 months ago, so. depending on what I decide, and how much money it will all cost me, I'll keep that in mind. (college student, limited funds, and parents who limit me too) I have all my stock suspension parts and I have access to a bunch of stock wrangler throw aways from lifts being put on. So when I go to my shop tomorrow I'll see what I can grab. That means I'll probably have to run a rear sway bar again.

Thats what I suspected with the gears, just wanted to make sure. I have first dibs on these parts because I'm good friends with the girl. I'll tell her that idea about the suspension. It might seem kind of like a waiste after buying the leafs though.

If its a TJ D44, then I wouldn't cut it up and put it in your XJ, I'd SELL it!!

Those things go for $1000+!! TJ guys pay BIG money for those.

I'd sell it and built front and rear axles with the money you get from it.

RalphXJ said:
If its a TJ D44, then I wouldn't cut it up and put it in your XJ, I'd SELL it!!

Those things go for $1000+!! TJ guys pay BIG money for those.

I'd sell it and built front and rear axles with the money you get from it.

X2. I was thinking the same thing as I was reading this. You could EASILY sell that D44 for more than enough money to build up a nice XJ D44 or 8.8 or ?

J

Sell the TJ D44 for profit, buy a 96+ Ford Explorer 8.8. Weld the tubes to the housing and do the bracketry, and have a stronger rear end and money left over for a locker :)

Your money is better spent on an XJ D44 that has bigger/stronger axle tubes, and needs far less work to bolt in. Keep looking, they're out there. Even an Exploder 8.8 is a better choice than a TJ D44 for an XJ.

Back