• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Problems

attworth

NAXJA Forum User
Some people were helping me out on the last thread, but I didn't get much accomplished. I have an 85, 2.8L, Auto (tf904), with NP229 t-case.

My jeep WAS driveable when I first got it. Had acceleration issues, but it was driveable. I was going up a hill one day and it decided to not want to move. So I towed it home. I drained the T-case and found huge metal shavings in it. So naturally, I thought it'd be the tcase. I replaced it with a similar NP228. I thought all my issues were solved. I started it up, and it seemed okay. Putting it into gear, it would have a big THUD and lurch a little bit. It would drive, just not very fast, and kinda rough. I found out that this is because the tcase was in LOW. I don't have the linkage for the H-L selector, so I crawled underneath and pushed it into High range. I get back in, and the Jeep does what it was doing before - once in gear, it just sat there and made a weird grinding noise. When putting it back into park, it makes a grinding noise like it's trying to stop something (decrescendo) and then a thud.

Now, if I put it into LOW, I can drive it around. Although this is very rough on it so I have heard. It doesn't shift either. It just stays in first gear. What I don't understand is why the tranny would seemingly be in "okay" shape when the tcase is in LOW, but once the tcase is in HIGH, the tranny feels shot.

Does anybody have a clue? Is my tranny shot? Bad tcase #2?

Tony

Do you have both driveshafts in the vehicle? I think with the 228 and 229 there is a vacuum motor that shifts the transfer case from 2wd to 4wd and I don't believe they will shift into low range when in 2wd. If it is in 4wd and low range the case will be locked like a part time case but when in 4wd and high range it is full time using a diff or fluid coupling in the case and probably wouldn't move without the front driveshaft in it (or if there is a front axle disconnect open). I would check to make sure the case is in 2wd first and see if it will then move and then troubleshoot from there.
Mike

Back