• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Noisey leaf springs

90Pioneer

NAXJA Forum User
My '96 XJ has an RE5.5 LA lift, which included new full leaf packs in the rear. The lift has been on about one year.

My leaf springs make lots of creaking and popping noises. Anytime you turn sharply, go over a bump, into a parking lot, etc etc. The zerks on the leaf bushings are greased. That doesnt seem to make much of a difference.

Is there anything I can do to quiet them down? They didn't used to be like this and it's very annoying. I searched but couldnt find anything specific.

Nosies can be coming from a few places. Do the shackles move freely when you push down on the back of the Jeep? I've found that the factory torque specs are actually a bit too tight and will bind up most aftermarket and even some stock shackles. Leads to a rougher ride and noise.

I've seen popping noises caused by leaf spring mounting holes being egged out a bit. Bolt will slide and pop.

If you know for a fact it's the leaf pack itself then there are a couple things you can do. Take the pack apart, clean them up really well and paint them with Slipplate. Or install the thin teflon bushings/liners between each leaf.

Oh and make sure the shocks aren't loose at all. I just had a TJ stop in with clunking/popping noise, was the lower shock bolts.

I agree with AJ.

First things first, loosen the bolts at the frame for shackle/leaf one half turn, and grease your shackle. go for a drive. Check the bolts every day for a few weeks to make sure they are still tight enough not to back out, but it sounds like one may be too tight.

-C

Does anyone know the proper torque for these bolts?

If you're laying under the jeep looking at where the rear leafs mount to the rear of the jeep, there is a greasable bushing in there. If someone else pushes on the jeep you can hear the creaking noise coming mainly from this location.

I'll check my shock bolts too, thanks AJ! And I can't wait for that spare tire carrier!

Edit to add: I don't have a socket big enough for these bolts, anyone know what size it is?

I just checked my lower shocks and they appear to be pretty tight.

Last edited:
I don't remember what size they are... its the grey impact socket with the big scratch in my toolbox. ;)

Not sure on the actual torque spec, I go until they feel snug but not as tight as I'd normally go on a bolt of that size, and have good luck with that. ;)

Back