• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric fan problem

xjhd4me

NAXJA Forum User
hi everyone i'm new to the forum and have a question, i have a stock 97 xj 2 door 4.0 5 spd, my problem is the electric fan kicks on for about two seconds then off for about ten seconds then on again and justs keeps continuously running like this. I have a/c but it is not turned on, also the compressor clutch engages and disengages with the fan, shouldn't the compressor clutch only work with a/c on? do i have a bad compressor clutch? i'm not sure what the deal is here but i do know i can hear it constantly and it's making me nuts, someone please help me

Your A/C isn't on but is your HVAC system on defrost??

it will do that when it is set on defrost, It uses the A/C to dehumidify the air or something to help defrost the windows better and the fan cycles on and off with the compressor...a search can give you an exact answer on that, i'm only stating what I recall from my search so don't quote any of that

mine 97 was doing the same thing and I thought there was something wrong but it turned out to be normal, but it is fairly annoying on a damp day when you have to keep it in the defrost setting

well that was the case i went out and tried the jeep with the defrost on and then without it and sure enough it quit going nuts when i shut the defrost off, so i guess when i have to use the defrost i'll just have to play the radio louder haha thanks for all your help

Back