• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ebay Intakes

maine96xj

NAXJA Forum User
has anyone baught those cheap aluminum hi flow intakes with filter. if so waht did you think?? there only like 15 bucks and i was just wondering if they were worth it

I bought one and you get what you pay for. The filter costs about that much alone. You can do a search and find out how to makek your own. I recomend that you get Rusty's because you can get the whole package cheap. Filter,Tube and throttle plate spacer. Its worth the agrevation and time. If you just want the filter and tube ebay it and figure out a way to mount it to the air box stud like rusty does.

Make your own using silicone piping.

Why pay for something that LOOKs like you get colder air, when it actually "soaks" the air with heat, and in turn, it ends up hotter?

Run your XJ with a metal intake tube for 30 minutes and grab ahold of it real tight ;)

Heatsoak is a bitch!

Not to mention... cheap intake/exhaust mods do VERy little for the 4.0.. spend your $$ on a snorkel, and at least get some functionality out of it.

Speed_racer said:
Not to mention... cheap intake/exhaust mods do VERy little for the 4.0.. spend your $$ on a snorkel, and at least get some functionality out of it.

I have done both the intake and the exhuast on my ride and noticed improvements after each mod. no dyno's, no numbers, just seat of the pants, but starting with the K&N cone intake more pep/milege (too much money) Flowmaster 50 cat bak good amount of pep, Banks header only good if you replace downpipe with good mandrel bent to match exhuast tube, and 99 intake which helped milege a bit and more grunt aswell.
If your talking money, no the $1500 spent probably didn't gain crazy amounts of hp/torque but it certainly helps turn my 33's on 4.10 gearing with no trouble at all, at any speed.
A snorkel looks cool, and for those into mud n water its probably handy but I have never had the need for it, but may in time build one myself.

I took the Jeep out for a drive right before and right after putting the open air intake and yeah I noticed it pulled harder. As for the header, as I said without the proper downpipe I didn't notice anything, but once the new pipe was on it worked better and apparently taking advantage of the better flow sounded good too.
I don't doubt bolt-ons talk more than do, but after its all said and done if I added 25-35hp with everything I am happy... if its less ahwell I did the work myself so I am still happy knowing I did the work.

Back