• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

from 2wd to 4wd swap

woodbutcher

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 91 XJ with a 4.0 2wd but I am looking for a wrecked 4wd to convert it right now my trans is locked in 5th gear and I need to drive it how do I go about finding the right one or which 4wd unit can I get to put in until I get the front axle?
Sean:confused:

You can put in a 91 - 95 auto trans (assuming yours is an auto) & it's just a bolt-in project. With a 4wd tranny you'll also need to swap in the 4wd driveshaft & t-case linkage before it's drivable again.

You'll need to get new front & rear axles with the same gearing (unless you know 100% what your current rear xles is geared to).

You could swap in a AX15 from a 91+ without issue. You'd need a like year/setup front and rear driveshaft as well as the previously mentioned matched gear front axle. For convience, look for a 92-99 HP non-vac disco front D30.

If you wanted to swap ratios, this would be the time. You can swap a set of 3.55 or 4.10 axles if you can find them.

Then the linkage, shifter and bezel, and a couple of other nic naks that escape me now.

HP non-vac disco front D30.
What is this?
I have found a couple of options on vehicles for parts.
I have found a wrecked 4dr 4wd auto can I put these axles and transfer case on my 2wd tranny?
and another I found a 2.8 v6 4wd auto will that tranny fit my 4.0?
Thanks for all the help.
Sean

not sure about the tranny, but the axle referred to is a high pinion...meaning that the axle looks upside down and the front driveshaft will be higer on the pumpkin, the non-vac disco means it doesnt require vacuum to operate. No you cant put a transfer case on a 2wd tranny.

woodbutcher said:
I have found a wrecked 4dr 4wd auto can I put these axles and transfer case on my 2wd tranny?
and another I found a 2.8 v6 4wd auto will that tranny fit my 4.0?
What year is the wrecked one?

No, you can't put the V6 tranny in there...just walk away from that vehicle.

You'd be better served to get a trans/Transfer case combo to bolt up to your current motor.

I think the output shaft would need to be changed, and for the cost of that, you can find a used 4wd trans.

woodbutcher said:
I have a 91 XJ with a 4.0 2wd but I am looking for a wrecked 4wd to convert it right now my trans is locked in 5th gear and I need to drive it how do I go about finding the right one or which 4wd unit can I get to put in until I get the front axle?
Sean:confused:

The c clip that holds 5th gear on either broke or fell off.. get a FSM for the AX15 trans and repair it yourself.. just take your time and be mindfull of where and what order you took the parts out..

91/94 4x4 XJ manual 5sp trans and t/c will swap in. You'll need the drive shaft from a matching rear axle. (ie: d35 for d35, 8.25 for 8.25)
also take the carpet out of the donor and remove the plates/mounts for the 4x4 shifter and linkage on the inside and the mounts on the underside of the tub.
I'd go for the console too, to get the selector identification.

Dave

Last edited:
Back